Help on coloring and sealing engravings.

MrMister

Hello, I am new at engraving and doing simple engravings on coins and have tried black enamel paint for highlighting the engraving, but it won't stay in and will even wash out once it dries. Is there anything special I need to do to keep it in the engraved area or need to use something other than black enamel paint? Also how do I seal the coin to keep the black highlight from being worn out by touching? I read somewhere online that the coins can be sealed to prevent this. Thank-you for all your help.

mrthe

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Have you try etching ink? dry slow, you have to wait 10 days for a complete dry but before that you can erase it only with fire

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
MrMister: Welcome to the Cafe :tiphat:

I use Rust-Oleum flat black (non-aerosol). I flood it on with a Q-tip and wipe it off with my thumb. Been using it for as long as I've been engraving and with good results. Mrthe's idea of etching ink sounds much more durable though. I will have to try that :)

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,this may sound too simple,but your work must be compleatly free of oil before you fill it. Finger prints count as oil. Clean and dry thats the ticket.I hope this helps.

scott99

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not a prolific coin carver, but i found an excellent way to add color to coins--
selective electroplating. this can be done even for those on a limited budget. the one here is not a good carving. i think it was the second one i did. the brain was electroplated with copper. the foto is bad, but the copper color is much brighter on the actual coin. to fully protect them, you can buy little plastic "vaults" to allow inspecting both sides, while protecting the coin from busy fingers. the little "vaults" are available at most any coin shop. the electro process can plate in copper, black chrome, gold, and certain other metals. www.caswell.com their site has a lot of info...btw:the dc power supply can be found much cheaper at surplus stores. common walwarts can also be used as a power supply, but don't allow for output voltage control.

Attachments

• FORNIX8.JPG
    FORNIX8.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 241

mrthe

Heare an example using etching ink

The etching ink work very very well for highlights the super fine details too ;)

Hey Monk thank you very mich for the info,very interesting i have to try it!

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Try gun blue and then rub off the high surfaces to tone the coin. You can also heat the coin on the stove fire and it will tone nicely, then buff the highlights or rub between fingers or on your jeans to highlight the high spots. Never sealed a coin with anything.

MrMister

Thanks everyone.:)

Thank-you everyone for the wonderful tips. Being new to engraving, it sure will help me out hope to continue to learn and improve. This is a super-site for learing and getting more info.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mirthe: give me a couple days-- i'll send you a few fotos of the stuff i use. if you want i'll send it as a pm.

mrthe

Hey Monk thank you for yoir kindness ,will be great see the photos,if you want you can post heare ,in this way if other folks of the forum are interested will can see the photos too.
Thank you another time!

Latest posts

Sponsors