Question: Help identifying firearm angraver

Heliman

Help identifying firearm Engraver

Hello! I am new to this forum and am starting out by asking help in identifying the engraver of a Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver. The work was done in the early 60's and may have been done in the Pacific Northwest. The previous owner is infirm and unable to communicate, so I have little to go on. I will post some pics and maybe somone out there can offer a hint. Thanks in advance for your help! Dave from Washington state.:)

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a pretty nice piece. I have no idea who did the work but i suggest that you remove the grips and check there. Be careful when replacing the grips however. I note that there appears to be some slight warpage. A gap appears between metal and ivory and over tightening could crack the grips. Fred

Heliman

Thanks for the input. I found out a few more things today. I talked to an Engraving Guild senior member, Mr. Bob Evans of Oregon. He suggested the gold inlay and wolf's head inlay may be the keys to identification. He indicated that the engraving style itself was fairly common German scroll. The previous two owners were national gunshow attendees so the gun could have originated anywhere in the US....

I have removed the grip panels and ejector rod housing as did Mr. Evans. So far no clue as to the engraver. Thanks for the help! Dave

Latest posts

Sponsors