Help for a rookie.

NeilB

I own a trophy and engraving shop that uses mechanical equipment only, and I'm wanting to learn hand engraving to take it to that next level. I have acquired an air compressor and microscope but am a little overwhelmed at the types of gravers and sharpening systems out there. I'm looking to get my feet wet on a budget, any help on the best bang for my buck would be appreciated. I am also looking for a class in the southeast area of the country asap.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. The Lindsay graver sharpening templates are pretty much foolproof. The GRS system is highly regarded as well, and makes a very good graver. Good luck!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Neil,

Welcome to the Forum!

Many of us have wandered in the wilderness, and made progress on our own, yet I know of no one who took a week of lessons, who ever regretted the experience, whether they went as a complete novice, or like me, took lessons after a considerable period trying on my own. If lessons look pricy, believe me, they are money and time savers, in getting you pointed in a direction where eventually your own style can blossom. I note you are based in the USA, by contrast, in Europe there still exists some opportunities to undertake an extensive and long apprenticeship in hand engraving, one that puts great emphasis on a deep grounding in the arts, particularly in drawing, and its history. This is best started at puberty, before the brain is fully developed. I started my apprenticeship at 15, for seven years, but in another trade...toolmaking, so I am weak in drawing, but pretty good with geometry, both are needed. In the US there is more of a 'gung ho' to cut metal, right from the start, and worry later about what you want to do with your cutting skills. However, the American tradition has proved very competitive in many ways, as shown in Roger Bleile's wonderful book devoted to American Engravers.

Centuries of fabulous work has been produced without the use of today's popular 'air assist' handpieces. Many of today's masters had successful careers with hand push engraving and also hammer and chisel, and eventually started to include air assist hand pieces in their 'quiver of arrows', and with no feeling that their artistry was in any way diluted.

How you start into your quest is entirely your choice, and I agree it is all a bit confusing. I do recommend a week with teachers who use one or other of the popular systems ...

a) Hand push and hammer and chisel
b) Lyndsay "air assist" systems
c) GRS "air assist" systems
d) The inexpensive nGraver system

You will find teachers who use one or other of the systems, yet some will have all the systems available for you to try.

I believe it is true, that GRS has the widest range of ongoing teaching programs with classes limited to about ten or so. Others do one on one.

It can be valuable to try different systems before buying, and a class can be a good start in trying without buying.

This is the briefest overview. I am sure others will want to give you some hints about starting up?

Best wishes!

Rod

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Take a basic engraving class before you buy. GRS's class schedule will be up on the web site December 2.
A class with modern hand engraving tools reduces the learn curve greatly. Plus like Rod said you can use the stuff before you decide.:handpiece:

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What Sandy said.
I don't know where Barnesville is but I'm about 30 miles West of Atlanta and have all those sharpening devices and an airgraver you can try. I can't over emphasize the importance of trying your options out before you buy. Anyway, you're welcome to stop by.

NeilB

Thanks for the advice, I would like to use different types of gravers before I buy, Tim thanks for the offer, I am 50 mi. south of Atl. My shop is in Griffin. I will pm You toget contact info.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Sandy. Take a class. I've used several of the systems. To me it is more a choice of foot or palm control. In the class you can try those as well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
even if you're too busy to do it. begin looking in the tips section on this forum. there's a ton of info there just waiting for a person such as you. hey, it's all free- alls you have to do is read and maybe take a lot of notes. welcome to the forum, and good luck in your pursuit of a very fascinating art

Sponsors