Hello!

Jex

Just thought I'd say hello and Thank you for supporting this forum so new members like me have a place to get started.
I was thinking of picking up my first tool "The art of engraving" by James B. Meek. As suggested by some of the sticky threads. Does this book cover graver geometry?

I'm mainly interested in hand push engraving for now. I would also like to build the bulk of my tools myself. My back ground is a machinist and I have access to lathes mills as well as tool and cutter grinders. We do have High speed tool blanks. But there are also many broken carbide end mills and rotary engraving tools I might be able to repurpose.
Figure the money I save on tools can then be spent on lessons if I really get into it.

I'm going to necro an old post on vises, please look out for it and comment.
https://engraverscafe.com/threads/ball-vise-purchase.14504/

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
many of us credit that book as our first real look into the world of engraving. learning to do push engrraving will give you a chance to feel what the tool is doing. i don't think the air toys gives one the same level of feeling. i'm guessing you're considering a foreign knockoff. they may be better than nothing, but as you develop cutting skills, you'll likely realize you wasted yer money.
good that you're a toolman. the geometry is all important. at first try a 45 face, and maybe a 15 heel. make the heels rather short. such allows for doing tight curves without ragged edges. don't forget side grinds. no sense in having xtra metal getting in the way. there's a lot of tool geometry info in the tips section
btw--- welcome to the forum, and don't ignore drawing skill. it's as important as any other discipline you'll need to develop.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome to the Cafe forum and the wonderful world of engraving.
Look forward to seeing some of your questions and posts.
As you already have access to shaping and sharpening tools the first thing you should buy for push engraving is a ball vise.
Or you can utilize a detached four jaw lathe vise just to get going.