Hello, I'm new here.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
If you have never engraved before, the best place to start is to say where you live, and find another engraver close by so you can watch and try...to see if you really want to do this. If you do, after trying and watching, find an appropriate place to take a course. This could be at GRS, on-line with DeCamillus, in Stockton With Marshall...the list is too long to mention. But the money spent taking a course will save you hours of disappointment and struggles down the road.
There are several methods of engraving and usually ones budget determines which one you'll follow. You can hand push (very hard to learn in my experience), hammer and chisel, or air assist (probably the fastest learning curve when combined with proper training). You also will need a sharpening system. This can range from the GRS power hone, to Steve Lindsay's template systems. There are many threads about the advantages of each, and the diadvantages.
What you want to do can be very rewarding, emotionally. Financial reward may be years or even decades down the road. You can get started for a few hundred dollars, but expect to spend several thousand on tools, training and refence material...even more if you catch Tool Acquisition Syndrome (most on this forum have contracted some measure of it). And Good Luck!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome I'm also new and have asked a bunch of questions I just made my initial purchase if you would care to click on my profile and see all my post it would answer a million questions... I think the guys here are worn out with me and my questions... By the book (engraving historic firearms) in really answers everything you need to know.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure about Deleware precisely, but there are MANY engravers within a few hours drive from where you are. I'm sure that someone will speak up and show you at least a little and let you give it a shot. The emotional rewards are great but the financial and personal commitment immense.

Latest posts

Sponsors