Hello first post WTK what engraving machine for marking firearms manufact?

carcharodon

Hello all very nice website.

This being my first post and all. I am looking for a small talbe top engraver to make manufacturing marks on firearms I am a licensed 07/02 FFL and have had numerous requests for marking short barreled rifles. Anyway I am looking at the Hermes Panograph as a starter or another recomendation. This would be used to mark on the receiver.

Thanks for any help

Carcharodon

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe Mr. shark guy. While this is a hand engraving forum, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions about what to get for your gun marking requirements.

Cheers / ~Sam

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
carcharodon,Which ever way you decide to engrave these short rifle barrels and actions remember to establish a stock line so your lettering is not under the stock. J.J.

monk

Staff member
i use a newhermes to number/letter receiver parts with the rotary spindle.before the parts become "legal" or are actual controlled parts of a firearm. the receiver is not a legal issue until certain machining operations are performed on the part. i do this for a gunsmith with a special manufacturers license. the new hermes does this work with very little effort. the manufacturer is quite pleased how the lettering & numbers look. one thing, you're going to have to learn how to make fixtures or jigs. not all parts are flat with respect to the vise jaws. if you get a nh machine, they are very well made and will out last yhe owner many times over.

monk

Staff member
i don't think either will serve you well. these are designed primariiy for flat plates and small stuff. they do not have the strength built into them for what you describe you want to do. mine is a real beast of a machine. very heavy duty, on castor wheels. i've actually engraved a few bowling balls with this machine. it also has clearance to go from flat plates, to rather large items. i think new, i paid around 22 hundred bucks for mine new, maybe 35 years ago. shown is a foto of mine, taken sort of down inside the machine, the jaws are 4" deep. the vise can be lowered several inches with a scissor jack it rests on. this allows the engraving of rather larger, heavier items.

Attachments

• NH PANTO.JPG
    NH PANTO.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 57

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Got one exacty like Monks to sell off too...

With every accessory ever made. (You'd have to add the wheels like Monk did)

Plus a guy just dropped a dozen brass fonts here an hour ago!

It is the motorized version - so you can cut down into the metal as well as scribe with a diamond point.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
if you do buy one of these gems, you'll not go broke buying templates-- you can cut your own.. from the early days till now i've created over 60 complete font sets, diamond mono, rb mono, old eng., several scripts, blocks and gadjet fonts for special work. i could never have afforded to purchase the regular sets i made, let alone all the custom stuff i have cut.

monk

Staff member
i don't like pm's. mine is a new hermes i think it's model # gtx. nowhere on the machine is there a legend plate with a model designation. there is a plate on the motor, but it's only for the motor if you need more info call me 724-678-7855 as late as 2am est. i know i can steer you where you need to go in this regard.