Hello and Thanks!

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Just a quick hello from Sydney, Australia. I'm an apprentice jeweller who wants to engrave as well.
I want to say thanks to all who post on this forum, I am teaching myself to engrave and have learned a lot from the forum so far. I have been engraving for less than a year, but hope to get better soon. Here's a few practice plates and a ring I carved out of wax.

Thanks!
Matt

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 261

Andrew Biggs

Hi Matthew

Good to see you on the forum.

You're doing well and starting to get the hang of it. Just keep practicing and observing and you'll be fine.

Hopefully we can catch up in Sydney in September.

Cheers
Andrew

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the forum. You didn't specifically ask for it, but I would like to give you a pointer to guide your future efforts. You seem to have gotten the hang of making scrolls without many elbows or misshappen bends, but I would suggest that you concentrate on making sure that your backbones touch the borders with more consistancy, and that you only violate a border on purpose. Other than that, you're well on your way.

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew and Gary, thanks!

Bruce, help always welcome.
Did you mean the backbone should make contact with the outside border?
Or that each backbone should make contact with each other?

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I meant both. The biggest thing, however, is that you gain consistancy. If you want them to be slightly separated, keep them all separated the same amount. (as close to the same as possible) If you want them to touch, they should all touch.

Latest posts

Sponsors