Heel on flat graver

azarel444

I just got some flats to use, havent used em yet and cant seem to find out how to put a proper heel on a flat graver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
15 or 20, if any at all. thanks to sam, i I even tried rounding the bottom. best done if you have a sharpening system. by experimenting you'll likely find what works best in your hand for the particular type work you're doing.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
First thing you need to do is to true the graver in relation to the way it sits in the holder. I coat the bottom of the graver with a marker. Use the Dual angle sharpening fixture set at about 1 to 2 degrees and set it so the bottom of the graver is nearly flat on the wheel. When you grind part of the bottom away you will notice the grinding will show an angular line across the bottom. That shows that the graver is not true to the it is in the holder. I usually grind back about halfway across the bottom. The part that is shiny is true to the way it sits in the holder. Turn the fixture 180 degrees and grind the face. Set the fixture to do the face. I like to use 50 degrees for the face. Then turn the fixture 180 degrees again to do the heel. I like 17 to 20 degrees for the heel. I make about four swipes across the wheel with it stopped. If you do not true the graver, you will get a heel that is skewed, wider on one side than the other. You might want to coat the bottom again with the marker so that you can get a good look at the heel. I hope you can follow these instructions.

Last edited:

Sponsors