Heading to Kansas

ECO-DAVE

Heading to Kansas in a week and will be attending the basic class in Emporia. I would like to try out some of the local flavor, does anyone have any favorite Emporia area restaurants?

Thank you
David

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Merchant Street BBQ - get the ribs which have been described as a "religious experience". Do dinner as it's too hard to get back to class by 1pm because of the crowds.

Ru Yi - wonderful asian food and one my favorite restaurants in Emporia. Local Chinese people eat there which tells you something. Very casual place.

China Buffet - Right on the main drag. Decent buffet. Nothing great but fast. I eat there every trip.

Pizza Ranch - (walmart area) - good pizza buffet and good fried chicken. I like their buffalo chicken and buffalo chicken pizza.

Casa Ramos - great traditional Mexican food. Local favorite.

Chicken House - Olpe, Kansas, a few miles from Emporia. Ate there for the first time last month and it was great! Described as a "Kansas treasure" and it really is worth the short drive out of town. Each dinner is cooked fresh.

Montana Mike's - Good steaks. I like their Mile High Ribeye.

Grand Central Hotel, Cottonwood Falls - About 20 miles from Emporia. I ate there this last trip but I hesitate to recommend the restaurant. The steak was good but not great, and for $26 I expect something better than what I got. I didn't ask the other diners how theirs was. Had a great time with friends so no regrets whatsoever. Cottonwood Falls is a must see as far as I'm concerned, whether you eat there or not. See photos below :)

Bruff's Bar & Grill - noisy sports bar completely plastered with televisions. Food is always good and I think they have a reasonably priced steak night. Near the interstate and Industrial Blvd.
===============

Here are a few photos from my last two trips to Kansas. People often say there's nothing there, but beauty abounds if you just go out and find it.

Near Strong City, Kansas

Cottonwood Falls, Kansas

Old stagecoach house near Emporia, Kansas

Cottonwood Falls, Kansas

Cottonwood Falls, Kansas

Chase County Courthouse, Cottonwood Falls, Kansas

Lower Fox Creek schoolhouse, Talllgrass Prairie, Kansas

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Oh Sam those are fantastic photos. You make "Home on the Range" look great. :tiphat:

There is also Bobby D's and the New Breck (sp) in Americus. :thumbsup:
Sandy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Oh Sam those are fantastic photos. You make "Home on the Range" look great. :tiphat:

There is also Bobby D's and the New Breck (sp) in Americus. :thumbsup:
Sandy

Thanks Sandy :)

Bobby's D's is Merchant St. BBQ, right?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have eaten with Sam when he had his Religious experience with a plate full of ribs. Don't miss it! Get a full order. They provide plenty of napkins and hand washers, so just dig in and enjoy!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam nailed them. Chicken House and Bobby D's for sure. I've always had a great meal at Grand Central Hotel but I missed the last time when Sam ate there. Bruff's has a darn good steak and prime rib for the money however. Ru Yi is a must visit too. You WILL gain weight in Emporia!!!

ECO-DAVE

Thanks everyone ..... I hope a dont gain too much weight. I had knee surgery over the winter and gained 20 pounds after being immobile for for 2 months.

Sponsors