Heading out to the Milan knife show and Val Trompe

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am flying the redeye from Newark to Milan to visit old friends, to see new knives, and engravings, I will try to keep you posted with interesting things.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Wow. I have been to Milano in November. I hope you are carrying your overcoat.

What a lovely city and what lovely restaurants. Hope you have a wonderful time with your colleagues.

Steve

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful! I have engraved one knife for the show but unfortunately i'll be at work in those days...but it had been nice to meet you there!
Enjoy your trip in Italy!
Stefano

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Barry: If you have time, check out Duomo di Milano. It is quite astonishing.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry: If you have time, check out Duomo di Milano. It is quite astonishing.

Amen to that Sam! It is like an outdoor sculpture gallery. Here are some pics I took in 2011.

Attachments

• Milan cathedral 2.jpg
    Milan cathedral 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Milan cathedral doors 1.jpg
    Milan cathedral doors 1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Milan cathedral 5.jpg
    Milan cathedral 5.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Milan cathedral 6.jpg
    Milan cathedral 6.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 331

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, the Duomo is great, and grand... although romantic period neoclassical sculpture is a bit overdone for my taste(!?) the Duomo is right next to the galleria, which has delightful restaurants and shopping.

This will be my fifth trip to Milano, and I have done the Duomo tour a couple of times. it's a must do if you have not had the chance.
My daughter Alyssa speaks fluent Italian and lived in Val Trompe for a few months, I was fortunate to have her as my guide my first time through.

It is interesting to contrast John Ruskin's criticism of the Duomo, with Mark Twains (from Wikipedia):

The American writer and journalist Mark Twain visited Milan in the summer of 1867. He dedicated chapter 18 of Innocents Abroad to the Milan Cathedral, including many physical and historical details, and a now uncommon visit to the roof. He describes the Duomo as follows:

"What a wonder it is! So grand, so solemn, so vast! And yet so delicate, so airy, so graceful! A very world of solid weight, and yet it seems ...a delusion of frostwork that might vanish with a breath!... The central one of its five great doors is bordered with a bas-relief of birds and fruits and beasts and insects, which have been so ingeniously carved out of the marble that they seem like living creatures-- and the figures are so numerous and the design so complex, that one might study it a week without exhausting its interest...everywhere that a niche or a perch can be found about the enormous building, from summit to base, there is a marble statue, and every statue is a study in itself...Away above, on the lofty roof, rank on rank of carved and fretted spires spring high in the air, and through their rich tracery one sees the sky beyond. ... (Up on) the roof...springing from its broad marble flagstones, were the long files of spires, looking very tall close at hand, but diminishing in the distance...We could see, now, that the statue on the top of each was the size of a large man, though they all looked like dolls from the street... They say that the Cathedral of Milan is second only to St. Peter's at Rome. I cannot understand how it can be second to anything made by human hands."

"John Ruskin commented acidly that the cathedral steals "from every style in the world: and every style spoiled. The cathedral is a mixture of Perpendicular with Flamboyant, the latter being peculiarly barbarous and angular, owing to its being engrafted, not on a pure, but a very early penetrative Gothic … The rest of the architecture among which this curious Flamboyant is set is a Perpendicular with horizontal bars across: and with the most detestable crocketing, utterly vile. Not a ray of invention in a single form… Finally the statues all over are of the worst possible common stonemasons’ yard species, and look pinned on for show. The only redeeming character about the whole being the frequent use of the sharp gable … which gives lightness, and the crowding of the spiry pinnacles into the sky.”

Athough the entire structure took over six centuries to complete, an amazing truth about the façade is that it was mostly accomplished in a couple of months to be ready for the coronation of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After arriving in Milan, we took a taxi to the Boscolo Exedra Hotel in the heart of Milan's fashion district.
If you want to shop for the best stuff within walking distance, you have two choices, the Boscolo, or the Four Seasons.

Louis the doorman, is always gracious and helpful:

In the lobby we have the modern look:

And a view of the landmark of Milano, the Duomo, from the excellent rooftop restaurant:

after a bit of rest, we will head out for some window shopping :)

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Via Monte Napoleone is just a block from the Boscolo Hotel and to many is, the heart of Milan's fashion and shopping district, the prices are lofty and the fashions are the most current:

There are many stores including, Cartier:

Prada:

and directly across the street from Prada is Gucci, in case you need some shoes to go with the Cartier jewelry and the Prada wallet:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Down the street is a Rolex store. here are some of their diamond set ladies oyster perpetual watches, a special edition and the lady datejust pearlmaster watches, both just under 30,000 euros I believe:

Across the street is a vertu cel phone store. Using high quality materials, they sell some really attractive phones, from 4999 euro to 11,000 for the one on the right.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Fantastic thanks Barry

Can you please get me ten of each.....Is cash Okay??? :)

It certainly opens your eyes when you travel to these places and see what some of the high end bling costs. Amazing

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It seems there was some speculation on a watch at the engrave-in fund raiser auction a couple of years ago about such a watch and who should bid on it

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will see what I can do Andrew, :) I will be visiting some collectors and dealers tonight, in the meantime, we have more fashion bling:

on Monte Napoleone is the Bulgari store decorated in xmas snakes:

with snakes in the window:

And down the street, more snakes, I think snakes are in this year:

and back down the street at Cartier's they have the big cats in the window:

And a very interesting bracelet for the independent woman, in the 300,000 euro range:

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of Bling, I stopped by Chopards.
Now, Chopard is a watchmaker, but they work from the bracelet first, actually diamonds first, using only the best top wesselton stones.
here are some examples:

A one of a kind piece, at around one million dollars:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Later, some friends and I went to a reception for people interested in knives on Thursday night, at a really interesting store in Monza called "Bergomi Interiors"
Mr Maurizio Bergomi, the owner, and our host, is a dealer of fine furnishings,kitchenwares, and fine knives.
Here are a couple of pics:

Maurizio, our gracious host:

Knifemaker Silvestrelli, Manrico Torcoli and Pele, examine a Peli engraved Silvestrelli:

The Silvestrelli back in the case:

Engravers Terzi, and Gianfranco Pedersoli, Knifemakers, Sharla and Shawn Hansen, examine the latest Hansen knife:

Sculptor Vladimir Burkovski shows us his work on a knife handle:

Myself, Terzi and our host Bergomi examine Terzi's latest work:

The work of Terzi and his student:

Peli and Torcoli enjoy an American style turkey dinner!:

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry,The world need to know how awesome you are,rubbing elbows with the rich and famous jet setting around the world and meeting some our talened fellow engravers across the pond.:cool: J.J.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks JJ, don't worry, they know, its all about friendship with others in the hobby and trades.

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An important landmark is
" That shop in Via Monte Napoleone"
This shop, if you are interested in engraving, cant be missed.
It has been , for decades, a cultural crossroads of the engraving world, a shop where everyone, from casual shopper, and traveling business men, to princes, and even kings, have been exposed for the first time, to fine engraving, and custom knives.
Founded by Giovanno Lorenzi nearly a century ago, as a small workshop of knifegrinders, it has developed into a place to buy the best in personal accessories.
Now operated by his grandson, Aldo Lorenzi, it is a must see for those interested in fine objects.

G. Lorenzi:

Fine knives in the window displays:

When you enter, you will usually find Marco, behind the counter. He knows the store from top to bottom:

And you are fortunate and show a knowledge of, or interest in fine things, Mr Lorenzi himself may join Marco and help you personally in selecting your solutions to your needs. Here is Marco and Mr Lorenzi advising a client:

Mr Lorenzi may even open his personal collection for you:

He has a vast knowledge of custom knives, scrim and engraving:

with pieces by Fleta Dorning:

Field:

Garbo:

Francesca Fracassi:

And Firmo Fracassi:

Thank you Mr Lorenzi, for all you do for all of us:

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That bird and elephant above look familiar. Wasn't that in one of those recent Italian engraving books made by Blue Book Publications?

Latest posts

Sponsors