head rest question

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
where's the best location to mount a head rest ? my scope is on a boom stand. also, when in use do they cause the scope to move ? curious, as i'm thinkin of making one. do they help much ?

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The head rest is only made for glasses users, who need to hold the eyeglasses just slightly above the lenses on the scope.

Other than that, your head should be erect with the scope.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, I HAVE fallen asleep while at the microscope. Sort of like falling asleep while driving.. You tend to wake up quickly...
Now, the real question.. I have one and use it once in a while. I have to disagree with Scott. The way the scope is made you must look down somewhat. The straighter up you are the better but you still are looking down.
As far as where to mount it? Whatever works so it hits your forehead I guess. It needs to be adjustable both in and out and up and down otherwise it will be annoying.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You engraved your best gun while asleep at the microscope Rex. I know because you told me so when you talk in your sleep besides in between snoring

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't use or like head rests. Probably because when I started with a microscope you had to build your own stand and headrests weren't being used. My students like them and use them, but I prefer not to use them.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I no longer use the headrests either.

Once upon a time, my style of engraving was more "fluid" and required chasing the work around with the scope. I used the headrest as a steering device for that purpose.

Over the years physical changes were forced on me that led to changes in the style and work I am able to do.

But, having now worked without the headrest for years, I don't think I would return to it - even if I were to suddenly have back the body I had when I was still just a puppy.

Brian

Andrew Biggs

Yip, I'm the same as everyone else................ I gave it a try but hated it.

Depending on the boom stand you may find that your movement may only be left and right if you "chase" the engraving.

You can get insert eyepeices for glasses which is basically the eyepeice with a rubber ring round it.........I love them as they work perfectly!!

even if I were to suddenly have back the body I had when I was still just a puppy.
Now wouldn't that be great!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I used the scope for a year without a headrest. Then I discovered that a headrest was supposed to be included with the microscope package that I had purchased, so I called the company and they sent me a new headrest. It took a while to figure out where the rest was most comfortable (I have to take my glasses off when using a scope. It I don't, I have virtually no decent wide field of vision.). But, once I found "the sweet spot", I never looked back. I find the headrest allows me to relax much more when working for extended periods. I wouldn't be without it. As to where to mount the rest, I would go to websites like "The Microscope Store" to see photos of how their headrests are mounted. And about your question about scope movement, if you have a good solid articulating arm or a solid boom mount, you should not get unwanted movement when using the headrest.

This info. is given with the standard proviso..."Your mileage may vary".

Mark

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I do use the headrest on the Meji on occasion.

I also use the bridge of my nose to push the scope left or right when trying to cover a lot of territory. Something I may wish I never told this crowd.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mike

Here is the GRS Link to the eyepeices for glasses

From what I can tell they are normal eyepeices with a recess in them that allows a rubber ring to fit into. This rubber ring protrudes slightly above the rim of the eyepeice...........this allows you to work with your glasses touching them without scratching them or the lens.

At first it was a bit strange looking through the scope with my glasses on.......but after a few hours I got used to it............now I wouldn't be without it.

They work a real treat.

It's always interesting to see how other people work. What suits some dosn't suit others as we are all different.............and that's the way it should be :)

Cheers
Andrew

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
I just wake up and jump like I would if I was driving and ran on the shoulder of the road..
Perhaps you have those "engraving fairies" that I am always wishing for. Every morning I come back to work and they haven't done a bit of work!
Headrests, eye pieces for glasses are both something of personal taste and even sometimes of the mood. I have both and use or don't use depending on the job, mood, moon or whatever...

monk

Staff member
many thanks to all. after this input, i think i'll build and try one. the vision is no problem. after having cataract surgery, i no longer need glasses fo anything. that's right, for any thing ! i can read the paper, middle vision, and far away ! anyone considering this surgery, quit considering and git "r" done.

monk

Staff member
thanks, powderhorn. my scope is built nearly the same as yours. i also have a lot of aluminum flat, hex & round stock . your fotos answer all the questions that might have come up. your help here will make this a "cake" project. thanks again, from the monkster.

Latest posts

Sponsors