Question: Having trouble on small engraving

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I'm no expert but will offer my two cents. First what graver point are you using? It is difficult for most beginning engravers to master depth control with wider geometry gravers. I agree you need to increase magnification if you are able to and cut lighter. But being silver and a wearable item . I wouldn't cut it to light , you don't want it to ware off easily. I might suggest a more narrow geometry, maybe 90 or 70. Always remember to go slow and steady on the softer metals.. Hope this helps and best of luck to you. Don't sweat the harsh comments from other members. Most of the time there intentions are good. But you must take all comments with a grain of salt.

Dirtdigger

Thank you all again for great advice!

Jared Eason. I have been using 120 on all my engraving this far. I have a 90 degree graver that i once tried and didn´t like. I have to get that out and give it another go.

Choppers_rule. I will allso try smaller heel on my 90 degree graver.

It sure makes sense that narrower graver with smaller heel would be easier to control!

Dhall and Eric Olson. I have filed and sanded quite a bit of material off from the top and it has been solid so far, not to say there couldnt be any porosity deeper in the silver but i think i will give this one a go and see how it is. I can allways file the surface away and give it another go with burnisher treatment if it goes sideways. Reasons for making my own ring blank instead of buying one is that it´s a lot cheaper to make my own than pay for blank, shipping, taxes and all. Second i have real large fingers and big enough ring blanks aren´t easy to find. And last but not least i had silver leftover from another project and casting sand from my aluminum castings so it would make sense to make it myself.
I´m abit too doityourself kind of guy too. I rather make my own stuff if possible than buy better made factory stuff, that many times is even cheaper. Propably stupid, but thats just how my family has been before and still is. My lastname translated in English is Smith, so that is where that hammer and anvil come to my coat of arms design too.

DacotaDocMartin. I´m familiar with lostwax casting, but i dont have materials for it so i used what i had in hand. I would love to try on lostwax casting someday!

And for all others, thank you very much for your replys, i will be doing another practise run as soon as i have time for it and keeping all advise in mind while doing it!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
another problem can occur with sand. as metal is being introduced into the mould, a couple tiny grains of sand might break loose. these will often lie just a tiny bit below the surface. after polishing, one begins to cut the design, only to crash into a grain of sand. this can result in a real mess of a problem. maybe possible to correct, but not without lots of frustration.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Dirt digger keep it up, I am beginning to think we are kin somehow. The name of our game is our own claim to fame. It is ours and ours alone when we make it, as it is happening to me more and more people want a one of a kind, from an artisan.

Latest posts

Sponsors