Hats Off to Chris Malouf!

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
I've just finished this 316 Stainless Ring to practice up for one for a client - after working on a Baby Browning for a week - how the heck does Chris do this on a regular basis? I went from one of the "kindest" metals to engrave to one of the toughest (for me). I know I've read how "doable" these 300 series SS's are, but come on - sharpening should not be every few minutes.
Actually after changing some geometry on the gravers, it was tolerable. Back ground removal did take some patience!
So to you Mr. Malouf - :bow: P1020483.jpg P1020456.jpg
Gordon Alcorn

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very classy looking work. 316 is easier, somewhat, if you "season" the gravers. shove them into a fresh potato and leave them overnight. i think you'll see a bit less difficulty.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice but don't let Andrews tongue thing mislead you Monk has it right with the potato as Andrew well knows but downunder they use " KIWI FRUIT"
it has something to do with the higher acid level I am not sure but I think it case hardens the tip of the graver at a molecular level I seem to remember a post on this some time back :rolleyes:
Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Man, that 316L is tough stuff to engrave, or I could be becoming more of a wimp in my old age! Nice job indeed.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the kind words.
The potatoes and kiwi seem to be helping (once I figured out to cut a slice off the bottom to keep them from rolling off the bench).
Willem - the first one took about 30 hours, but I am really slow.
Gordon

Sponsors