Question: has anyone used this mystisa rotary tool

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
You should contact the retailer for more info. The description refers to carving time. To me, that means wood removal, and not necessarily metal removal. Just a suggestion, it might be the best thing since sliced bread.
Regards
Don

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
It only goes to 30,000 rpm. The high speed air powered tools run at 320,000 rpm. The slow speed won't work as well for metal removal the way the high speed tools do.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It only goes to 30,000 rpm. The high speed air powered tools run at 320,000 rpm. The slow speed won't work as well for metal removal the way the high speed tools do.

ditto,

for that speed just get a dremel, with the pen and cable extension, much cheaper.

For engraving purposes it won't work, as soon as you set your tip down its going to run on you does not eat metal fast enough. I own the shofu high speed rotary tool, with speed somewhere in the 400,000 rpm, look for videos on youtube on how it works, you don't need to buy that brand, but you'll get the gist of it.

Here is a video I found, there are many uses fir the high speed rotary tool, that you could never do with the one you want.

Watch "Introduction to High Speed Carving and Engraving …" on YouTube
Introduction to High Speed Carving and Engraving …:

http://youtu.be/RAWieoTlSBM

my two cents worth

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

mrthe

Doc i have to disagree,maybe are not fast than the high speed turbine but slow speed micromotors with good torque power are good for metal removing, some people preferre them because feel them more easy to control
Edit:
Carlos you can't compare this type of micromotor with dremels, this type of micromotors are used in jewellery and are much more good and confortable to use,is not just a question of speed but how much good is the torque and the motor of the unit

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mrthe,

vet interesting, it might have the strength to cut, but wouldn't you still be using your hand strength to compensate the low speed? meaning you would have to use more hand strength to hold it in place to remove background for example. I would think your hand would get tired of using for extended periods.

Now that I remember I believe even Steve was using it to inlay can't remember where I read it but he was talking about making his main cuts and undercuts to inlay with the high speed rotary tool.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
This unit is portable, battery powered, I haven't used it, but I do use a Wecheer mini motor unit but it only goes up to 23,000 RPM. I use mine for wood carving detail.

Being battery operated I would guess is the reason for the high cost, the Wecheer is $85 at Woodcraft, and on sale it goes for around $40.

leo

Elite Cafe Member
I would buy the nsk that they have almost for the same price in the same web site

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used my RAM Micromotors for both wood and metal carving. My older one is 35,000 RPM and the newer model is 45,000 RPM. Both will remove background metal quite well, but I usually use my GRS 850 for most background work. There are many places where the slower speeds are advantageous.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
id look at another. the NSK micromotor, and foredom systems have the advantage of the foot control, whereas this one is just an on/off switch with a rpm dial.

ive been using foredom TX flexshaft. (doing mostly jewelry work when I bought it) have loved the extra torque. when using carbide burs <1mm for background removal and cleaning up little corners its worked just fine. I would however love to get one of the NSK. I cant justify the $$$ just yet.

when working under the scope with all that torque I do have to be mindful of the startup, and how much it jerks around the hand piece. doesn't seem like a whole lot till you see it under 45x loom.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been using 30-50,000rpm micromotors for the last 3 years as a hand engraver in town doing inside rings and on kettles, walking sticks, bracelets, whatever walks through the door. I also have the nsk presto which is the same as grs version far as I can tell, which is 300,000 rpm or something. I think if I touched the presto to the inside of a ring I would be buying the customer a new ten grand wedding ring. Its so fast and aggressive and great for background removal or script on stainless steel... The slower tool with the script is harder to control, but with practice you can control it. I have only had one run I can think of in the last year of engraving, average 5 to 10 jobs per day at least. I only use inverted cone carbides which is important. Thanks everyone for your views and valued input.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc and Carlos, I have to agree with Mrthe you don't need high speed for background removal. In fact, I'd like to know just how long your burs last running at high speed. When my father and I used the air powered rotary the burs lasted about 5 minutes!!! I run NSK at around 20k max and have heaps of control and torque and the burs last; 3 or 4 for a side lock shotgun and often 1 bur will cut 2 or 3 Rolex cases and I often junk them before they are completely shot in order to keep the crispness to the cutting. If you're carving eggshells and the like the high speed is perfect but I found it intolerable for steel.

Dani, it sounds like you're wanting to cut names, etc, with a rotary. You'll never get the same high quality results as cutting with a graver. Most on the forum use micro motors and high speed rotaries for background removal only on metal. Rotary engraved lettering should only be used on things like dog tags and junk jewellery because it will ruin anything decent.

If you do go for this micro motor, I'd check whether or not it's brushless (I doubt it is for the money) as brushless motors don't require maintenance and often deliver more torque.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Marcus. It just so happens that rotary script is what ninety nine percent of my customers are looking for. The only thing I usually take home to the chisel would be monogram signer rings, people want cheap and fast because they know no better. I can post q picture if anyone's still unconvinced its possible:)

mrthe

Dani post a pic please, not because i'm unconvinced that is possible hehe just curious to see how is done ;)

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Danae has done some beautiful rotary script work, and her engraving skills are improving rapidly. She has a personal facebook page, not sure about business. Hopefully she will share it and you can see for yourselves!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is some quick script on brass ... Messy writing done by lady auditioning the other day. Not used to metal.

Attachments

• IMAG4038.jpg
    IMAG4038.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 110

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, that looked better on the screen of my phone which I posted it on than it does on my laptop. i will find something more worth looking at and post it on here for posterity. I haven't tried my nsk on glass yet but the slower ones work fine for that... good straight diamond burs and a smooth running micro motor and you can have a lot of fun.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh and facebook

engraving by danae

I've got pictures on there from when I started to present day. There'll be some of rotary script on there I'm sure. Anything on glass was done with either my 30,000 or 45,000rpm micro motors. (I have two because the boss bought me one for work use only)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Danae,

I just looked through your facebook pages. I don't do facebook so can't put the likes on with out asking my daughter but I will take care of that later today. You have come a long way in a short period of time. You are a multi talented artist of high order and I hope your employer understands the quality you produce and you are compensated with an appropriate wage that matches the products you produce. You are going to be a top engraver one day and be so busy that you wont have time to work for someone else. Outstanding work all the way through. Congratulations Fred

Sponsors