Question: Has anyone done business with this custom grip maker?

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I finally got my custom made serialized pair of USFA SAA's (polished and in the white) after about a year of waiting. I purposely ordered them without grips. I purchased two matched pairs of antique pre-ban elephant ivory slabs from David Warther (3rd generation ivory carver) in Ohio. I'm looking for an expert in SAA ivory grip making and fitting to do two pairs of one-piece grips.

I did some Google searching, looked at several sites and this fellow looks like a likely candidate:

Collins Craft Handmade Pistol Grips :thumbsup:

Has anyone else done business with this fellow?

Thanks.

DakotaDocMartin

Hey Doc,
I bought a pair of Colt SAA grips from him years ago..... it was a first class experience.

Hope this helps,

Thanks! That certainly does help. The website description and photos really look good and having at least one of the members here recommend him... all the better. I appreciate it. :biggrin:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Haven't dealt with him, but I have purchased ivory from David Warther.
On a side note, I actually knew his grandfather Ernest "Mooney" Warther, Master carver. Visiting his workshop/museum as a young child ,Mooney pulled me on his lap and carved me a set of his famous wooden pliers. Still got 'em too!

DakotaDocMartin

Haven't dealt with him, but I have purchased ivory from David Warther.
On a side note, I actually knew his grandfather Ernest "Mooney" Warther, Master carver. Visiting his workshop/museum as a young child ,Mooney pulled me on his lap and carved me a set of his famous wooden pliers. Still got 'em too!

Wow! That would be quite a memorable experience for sure!

My parents both went to their museum and saw the collection of his hand made ivory and ebony railroad trains and engines. I remember looking through the brochure they brought home with them and was amazed. David has been carving ships most of his life and not only included a brochure but, also a nice DVD video. If you search for "Warther Museum Dover, OH" and "David Warther Carvings Museum" on YouTube you can see a virtual tour of both of the Warther museums. I know I'm in complete awe of what both of them have done.:eek:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just drove by the Warther Museum about an hour ago on my way home from a drive with my lady. Thought about stopping in for another tour, but decided to get home instead.
Not to hijack your thread(and this is all I'll say about it here), but FWIT: Earnest Warther carved everything on those trains with just his knife. No lathes-no drill presses-no machines---just a knife!

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Dakota
Im glad you found David Warther Ivory to be everything I told ya that it would be. Ive done 3 USFA in Ivory One I no longer have. The other 2 will be passed on. One natural and one tea stained.
It seams that I change grips pretty often. From Ivory to Stag to wood to bone. I like em all .
Their is no reason to farm out the grip work. Ivory is no big deal to work . Take your time work it slow and all will be fine.

Latest posts

Sponsors