Hammer and Chisel Vise

Haisam

Hello everyone,

I'm a hand tool woodworker and I would like to complement my work with steel and non-ferrous metals engraving skills, to
ornate the hardware of my furniture and, who knows, maybe in the future I will ornate the knives and tools that I make.

I would like to learn the basic skills of hammer and chisel. I've already spoken with Sam Alfano. I'm actually buying his bundle plus DVD on GRS for starting my engraving journey.

The only thing that really troubles me is the choice of a proper vise and, since prices are high, I have just one shot and cannot make a mistake.

Sam told me that I should aim for the heavier self-centering jaws vise I can get. GRS has the magna-block and the positioning-vise.
To be honest the higher price I can afford is for the magna-block that weights 32.6 lbs. Is that enough?
The thing that concerns me is the fact that the vise is free to move on the base (the ball I mean, not the crown).
Sam told me that it could work in many situations but he is not sure it could be perfect for me. Maybe I should go heavier?

My scale of work would start from little things of course but I may end up with medium sized things in the future.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Do you have alternatives and maybe some useful link?

Please, if you can, give me some advice. It would be really appreciated.

Thank you all,
Cheers,
Haitham Jaber, Rome

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. for me, it would depend upon will i engrave seated or standing up?? for standing work, most any heavy vise will work if mounted in such a way as to allow one to walk around the work.
in my early days, i used the magna block by grs. for h&c work. altho the largest objects i worked on were belt buckles--- small stuff. for such i had no real problems other than those encountered by a rank beginner. i had serious drawing/design defecits as well as proper tools & sharpening techniques. i wish you luck in your pursuit of this fascinating art form.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
When engraving with H&C I work standing at a pedestal and walk around and cut scrolls in one pass with out stopping'
, give it a try Haisam. J.J.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ralf, Never used this technique my vise is stationery on my pedestal when engraving with H&C my vise is 45lb. LeToumeau. J.J.

Haisam

Thank you very much to all of you.
I decided that I will start with a magnablock as I don't have
the possibility, right now, to have a pedestal fixed on the ground.
I will hammer and chisel seated. On a low woodworking bench.
Hope I'm not throwing in the bin 1200 euros

Latest posts

Sponsors