H&H (Stock) No.1

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just about finished.

Phil

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Phil, that is breathtakingly amazing and a perfect example of very elaborate ornamentation that remains interesting throughout. Around every turn and leaf the viewer must stop and study or risk missing something great (like the subtle shadow cast by the tendril winding its way around a scroll!).

When studying the work of many engravers, once you've seen one part you've seen it all as there is so much monotony and repetition. Your work is inspirational and we should all be grateful for the opportunity to study it in such detail. Bravo!! :beerchug:

~Sam

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
I noticed the same thing as Sam. Eye Candy for sure!!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You both beat me to the punch here..
I also not only loved the overall look but those little details. The winding tendril caught my eye right away.
Fantastic!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil - Everything you post is just exquisite. I really appreciate your taking the time to show them.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Exciting work! More than the mind, imagination and eye can possible fathom.
There is so much there, where does one begin. The overall effect defies
the imagination and senses. It's just beyond everything. Thanks for
sharing.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

Your work is truly phenomenal! There is so much detail that one could spend hours looking & still not take it all in. I love it: there is something new every time you look!!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

Weldon

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another wonderful work of art. It's great how you blended the bottom screw into the pattern. It's amazing how you incorporate the look of steel and rivets, weave, scroll, leafs, tendrils and flowers and it looks so beautiful. And after all that you still managed to fit the game scenes in. It's kinda like old Victorian engraving on steroids:) Thanks for the opportunity to view it.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought it would be, that's why I typed it. Hell if the athletes can use it why can't your gravers:)

tolesh

Phil, your work is phenominal and the photograpy is some of the best I have seen. Please fill us in on how you photograph the gun and if possible a picture of your setup.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, again you have packed an amazing amount of detail and ideas into just one engraving! An excellent and typical example for your personal style. I think your engravings and work would easily fill a book and it would be a splendid one! Hopefully it is in preparation already...
Martin

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks again all, too may to mention!

As for the photography, i'm a long way from being an expert....a very long way! but here's my method.

I find it best to photograph on an overcast day. First set your gun or whatever up so it looks good and with if possible no shaded areas. Take note of where your viewing it from and place the camera in the same spot. The distance I use is about 15 inches, my camera is a Canon 40D with a Sigma 28-70 lense but I have had good results with other cameras.
Look through the viewfinder and focus, I use the autofocus. I then switch to the Lcd screen, check again that all the area has an overall lighting and no shadows. If there are shaded areas, sometimes holding a sheet of white paper near to reflect light will eliminate them, if not I use an adjustable lamp with two 18 inch daylight tubes.
The aperature on the H&H pics is F20 but it depends on the depth of field that you want. I then set the shutter speed until the image looks right. I use the mirror lockup on the camera and use a remote to cut down vibrations, and that's about it.

I am sure that Sam and a few others will find lots of things wrong with this method :)and i'm sure there are better ways but this seems to work for me anyway.

Phil

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Phil, how about a book ??????? you could really pass on alot of knowledge that you:ve picked up along the way then the knowledge wouldnt be lost or distorted.....

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Phil, how about a book ??????? you could really pass on alot of knowledge that you:ve picked up along the way then the knowledge wouldnt be lost or distorted.....
There's not enough hours in a day for me to do the things I want let alone a book:big grin:

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors