Gustavo Aragao work/knives

GusAragon

Hello, my name is Gustavo Aragao, i'm a knife maker and engraving beginner, was a tattoo artist before, but 20 years of tattooing claimed my lower back, so I went to knife making and engraving, as metal don't cry when you work on it. Lol. I'm doing this project for my city knife show next year. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_173404_912.jpg
    IMG_20231130_173404_912.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 20231205_175347.jpg
    20231205_175347.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Rannis

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Very nice, I like the fresco or tile like background.

Ken Denning

I was an art teacher/jeweler for 35 years. I love Art Nouveau since the beginning with it's flowing lines and biomorphic shapes. The use of the negative in conjunction with the positive fascinates me and is ideal for engraving. I have made knives for years and have etched some designs on the blades. Is this design meant to be etched or engraved. If it is to be engraved the metal would have to be annealed, I presume. Is this the case?

GusAragon

I was an art teacher/jeweler for 35 years. I love Art Nouveau since the beginning with it's flowing lines and biomorphic shapes. The use of the negative in conjunction with the positive fascinates me and is ideal for engraving. I have made knives for years and have etched some designs on the blades. Is this design meant to be etched or engraved. If it is to be engraved the metal would have to be annealed, I presume. Is this the case?
Yes it will, I'll use the atp 641 compound to do it next in the oven and keep it from scaling. I'm studying now to make something for the handle that resembles Rene Lalique but in the next ones.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it will, I'll use the atp 641 compound to do it next in the oven and keep it from scaling. I'm studying now to make something for the handle that resembles Rene Lalique but in the next ones.
Have to ask. Is the atp 641 better than wrapping the blade in som stainless steel foile to prevent scaling when HT, and do you spray it, or brush it on the blade. Would really like to know how it`s done properly. I`m a hobby knifemaker myself and have problems with scaling on my engraved blades.

Jørn-Ove

GusAragon

And these are engraved already
Have to ask. Is the atp 641 better than wrapping the blade in som stainless steel foile to prevent scaling when HT, and do you spray it, or brush it on the blade. Would really like to know how it`s done properly. I`m a hobby knifemaker myself and have problems with scaling on my engraved blades.

Jørn-Ove
When I use the first time I'll let you know. Hahaha

Ken Denning

So along with Art Nouveau being my favorite art movement......Rene Lalique is my favorite artist/jeweler from that period. I actually taught a short art history/jewelry unit in my class and his work dominated my visual presentations. I especially love his Dragonfly broach with it's emotional dualities...i.e. the beauty of the female form opposing the violent nature of the "wolves of the insect world." Perfect for design examples and inspiration. (end of lecture).

GusAragon

Jørn-Ove
Used already and work like a charm. However, put the knife in the oven only when it is hot. I put in the beginning and I needed to sand it by hand to take 641 out of it. But it fine

Attachments

• 20231215_161430.jpg
    20231215_161430.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 52

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats very good 'beginner engraving'.
Your tool control is good.
People used to often tell me to go into tatoos, I'd reply, "I don't like squirming canvases".

GusAragon

Thats very good 'beginner engraving'.
Your tool control is good.
People used to often tell me to go into tatoos, I'd reply, "I don't like squirming canvases".
Yeah, I had to quit because of my lower back pain of being a tattoo artist.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021_191850_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231021_191850_Instagram.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 45

vondershred

As a huge Mucha fan, I’m in love what you did with those knives. So glad I found this thread!

I also have lots of tattoos, many of them copied straight out of a Mucha artwork book a friend once gave me. My first tattoo was “Dance” by Mucha on my upper right arm when I was 18.

Hope to see more of this!

Latest posts

Sponsors