Gun scroll pendant

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Well a friend saw the scroll on my buttplate and asked if I could make her a pendant with something like that on it. So here is my attempt. Critique welcome. Somehow, just drilling a hole in the top looks kind of weak, some other way was bound to have looked better.

Attachments

• more stuff 010.jpg
    more stuff 010.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 318
  • more stuff 008.jpg
    more stuff 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 320

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
If you have not cut the other side you could solder a curved chain tube to the back it will help keep it faced the proper direction and it is hidden from the front.

Bob

Soldered at the top may look cool too, but the hole looks like it would cause a problem.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
That would work, it will obscure and detour the eye from the engraving unless you design the bail to fit into the design. You may be able to do so now, but it would probably be a bit easier to do it at the designs conception or soon thereafter. I was thinking if you used a attaching point at the back you could do so now without losing the original design and it would allow you to add an edge treatment, it would give it a more finished look, but that may not be what you had in mind. It depends on how you want it to look when you present it to the new owner, will it fit their style?

Bob

I should have looked at the picture again, not much edge left anywhere except at the top, I remembered wrong. If I were trying to add a bail I think I would design a small 'button' flower and try to minimize the look of it. I would consider trimming the excess metal from the top creating a 'loop' for the bail and trimming the leaf it is out of line with the rest of the edge (that must have been what I remembered about the edge).

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
That sounds like it would be attractive, good idea, but how would it hold up? Although wear may give the edge a 'look' that would be appealing for such a piece, it may even look good with an initial 'wearing' back by polishing.

Bob

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A fairly heavy silver jump ring would probably not take the eye away from the engraving and is more than substantial enough. Since the silver is so white and the engraving is darkened, the eye automatically goes to the engraving. Normally on something like this, I make a triangular or leaf shaped engraved bail if I'm trying to make it flow with the design.
Nice job!

thughes

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I obviously just started cutting the thing without clearly thinking out the end result. I think I might go back as suggested, cut out a circle around the hole, and just use a silver ring.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
It is a nice piece as it is, but asking for critique from other artists implies you are not satisfied with the results or you are wondering if you have missed something that would improve it or your work in general. The idea is to improve your work in any direction you may not have thought of. As an artist responding to a critique request is not about if you like it or not, it is your opinion as to how you would attempt to improve the work or method. I think some people confuse an 'Art Critic' with what fellow artists offer as help, and confusion and hurt feelings may result.

Bob

thughes

I appreciate all of the comments I've gotten, no hurt feelings here. That's why I asked. Like I said, I clearly just took off without thinking through the finished product. I've gotten some really good ideas and I appreciate them. Thanks you.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think anyone could tell you understood and was using the critique the proper way. Your understanding and attitude made the comment possible. Nor did I feel Brian's comment out of place, I just used his comment as a lever to open a needed commentary. There is no easy way to reinforce the use and purpose of a critique, it just doesn't come up often. People new to art may misunderstand the true purpose of critique because critical analysis comments are mixed in with others on a normal basis. There is nothing wrong with that but it can be confusing to someone new to the idea. And I wouldn't want to miss a chance to run my mouth, I hope you don't mind the use of the thread.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors