Gun Blueing Removal Tip

CUTTING METAL

My local gunsmith gave me this great tip today. For a fast and easy way to remove blueing on a firearm use: Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner ( Liquid form only )
Use rubber gloves and wipe it on with a shop towel and it will instantly remove the blueing. Make sure to completely wash off the firearm with water to stop the action of the toilet bowl cleaner.

Hope this proves to be of great help to you all, Dick

Attachments

• Lysol.jpg
    Lysol.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 51

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
lysol

My local gunsmith gave me this great tip today. For a fast and easy way to remove blueing on a firearm use: Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner ( Liquid form only )
Use rubber gloves and wipe it on with a shop towel and it will instantly remove the blueing. Make sure to completely wash off the firearm with water to stop the action of the toilet bowl cleaner.

Hope this proves to be of great help to you all, Dick

i use this stuff to remove the galvanized finish on steel parts that i want to weld or braze. it contains hydrochloric acid. best to be used in a ventillated area. the fumes will also eat away the alveolar sacs in yer lungs !!:eek: :mad: :(

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Why would you want to use such nasty things when so many safer (for the gun and the user) products are available. Do not forget that you not only remove oxidation (bluing) you also attack the joins. I would stay away from this method on old S/S doubles and damascus barrels.
BTW water does not stop the reaction, it just dilute the solution of course if you rinse it long enough the reaction will stop. I think that one would need to use a solution of baking soda and water to stop the reaction or at least use soap and water.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry, you are correct. baking soda will stop the action, but you must get some heavy oil (breakfree is a good choice.....sperm oil I think) on it quickly and watch it in case it needs another dose of soda. I use a fluffy make-up brush to apply it and keep it very close at hand. I can get it down into cracks and crevises...er ah is that the way you spell that? Soda is a Pretty good cleaning agent and it will rust pretty quickly so don't go away thinking everything is alright. Rinse in room temp water to minimize sweating or condensation from reforming, but rinse thoroughly, and I will blow dry it (hair dryer)......I use Brownells rust remover, but Naval jelly is the same thing I think. I like the more liquid situation because I use it also to selectivly gray areas, and I need to see through the solution for this purpose. Plus, I can push it into smaller places easier, such as the point of a leaf etc....Just some other tips....................Good idea to wear respirator when using acids, but I don't like using acids much.............try to avoid it if possible. Good idea to do it outside too..Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors