Guitar engraving?

motofuq

Hello everyone. My name is Mark, and I'm new here. I actually don't engrave myself, but it's something I want to learn. Looking around this forum I'm just floored with the quality of work you guys are doing. I really thought this must be a lost art, but seeing the work you're doing clearly demonstrates this isn't true.

I'm actually a guitar maker, but part of what I do is make metal parts. I only work in brass and aluminum, making pickguards, tailpieces, bridges, & various covers and plates.. and I've recently been wanting to take it to the next step and engrave these pieces with decorative designs and lettering. (product names, etc.)

I would like to someday do this myself, since I've been a one man shop since the beginning, but my few attempts have been far less professional than I'm comfortable with! Rather than give up the idea, however, I thought I might look around and see if I can't find a good engraver who might want some extra work?

I don't know. Anybody here into guitars?

Here's my website.. www.motorave.com If it seems interesting let me know. I'm in Durham NC

Thank you, and please keep up the good work! It's truly a sight to see.

Mark Fuqua

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Mark! Beautiful guitars on your site. There are many people who hang around here so finding an engraver won't be a problem. Many engravers, lots of styles, much talent. Good luck with your search. :)

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Mark, welcome! Nice guitars. I'll bet that archtop on your home page would make a great swing guitar. I actually started out making banjos and solid body guitars and learned to engrave so I could engrave the hardware and pearl inlays. I never was that good of a luthier, but I loved doing the cosmetic stuff like pearl inlays, heel carvings, and engraved hardware. I only engraved two banjos and one mandolin before taking it other directions. I also did an elaborate monogram on my telecaster pickguard that worked out nice. I cut through deep enough to expose the middle black layer, so it really looked nice on stage. I also did a brass pickguard with an elaborate scroll, but for the time I had in it, it didn't look very good from the perspective of an audience. I always thought there would be a good market for custom engraved pickguards, (and other engraved parts) but never pursued it. Good luck.