GRS Training Center Question

ECO-DAVE

Hello... I am interested in learning to engrave and I am not sure the best way to get started. I have zero experience engraving and would like some advice on how to get started. Books? Videos? School? I like the school idea but its a pretty big investment considering I need to buy equipment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the school idea but its a pretty big investment considering I need to buy equipment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I believe that you will receive a student discount on equipment while taking a class. It will offset some of the expense for the class. A class can take years off your learning curve and get you going almost immediately.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A class can get you up to speed far faster than trial & error by yourself. If you choose to learn with videos instead there are plenty of good ones out there.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lots of good classes out there. I have taken 4 at GRS. Sam, Rex and Marty were great instructors. I'm taking two more this year. They will make sure you get off on the right foot without learning bad habits. GRS also offers a discount on equipment, free shipping and no sales tax to students.

Last edited:

ECO-DAVE

Thanks guys... Wish I lived in Kansas! I live in Az. And could go to Yavapai but the commute one day a week will get very expensive.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look into Sam's videos... And participate in the forum and you will get it. But it would still be worth a week vacation in Emporia, Kansas.

ECO-DAVE

I see GRS uses the Mach AT.... If I learned on this machine will I have trouble using another machine if I decide to buy a different outfit?

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Eco-dave
As a beginner i bought e few of sam's vidies, real interesting.
i have Roland baptiste's video&book to, it's expensive but i liked it because he explanes everything.
from layout and differant ways to do the transfer to cutting, shading, stippling, bulino...

Joe

Hello ECO-DAVE, In my own experience, the many books and videos that I first bought were far more helpful after training at GRS than before. Also, many tools would never have been purchased had I first attended GRS. But the larger point for me is that I know that I'd never have stayed at it long enough to get anywhere without the help received at GRS. I took seven classes over three years under Chris DeCamillis, Lee Griffeth, Sam Alfano, Mike Dubber and Ron Smith. Beside the instructors, I met many interesting folks from many places and was exposed to each's own little engraving nitch. I came away from Emporia with way way more than an understanding of engraving. Good luck going forward, how ever you choose to proceed.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I see GRS uses the Mach AT.... If I learned on this machine will I have trouble using another machine if I decide to buy a different outfit?

I don't think you will have a problem. I have both GRS gravermach at and Lindsay palm and foot control airgravers. The systems are very comparable with the GRS tools offering more power

As for the training center, it's well worth the expense. Do your research on the instructor. Sign up for a course that's being taught by someone whose work you'd like to emulate. But in all honesty, all of the instructors are top notch teachers and you can't go wrong with any of them.

The really great thing about taking the courses at GRS is the exposure/experience. By midway in the week you will really see marked improvement in your tool control and ability. There's a lot to be said for spending 40+ hrs working with the equipment and having immediate feedback, critique, and help from a master engraver.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
ECO-DAVE,
Hello fellow Arizonian. They have all given great advise. I live here in the Moon Valley area of PHX. Think I-17 and Thunderbird'ish...If you haven't tried to engrave or got to use anytools or seen it done in person I would be happy let you have a go at it on my equipment. I started off here in PHX taking lessons from Bryon Bridges, then went to a GRS class with Rex (excellent teacher by the way) and I have purchased many of the videos and books from those on this forum. All in all the lessons will cut years off the learning curve and you will have a better grasp of the instructions from any videos or books you buy because you have a firm foundation from which to build on. If your motivation is to do this as a future means to support yourself or your family then then you MUST get good foundational training. If it's a past time, hobby, flavor of the year ( believe me when I say MANY give up because of the learning curve, drawing, practice, drawing, drawing....) then buy some basic tools and a book or three and have fun.

Sorry to ramble...

Donny

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure how I did it but the post I ment for here went to the thread on apprenticeship. Old timers disease I guess. Sorry. A class at GRS is the way to go. The learning environment that is maintained by the folks at GRS is world class. Their whole thrust is for you to learn the art of engraving. Another benefit is that you get hands on time with the equipment. This way you can make an informed assessment of your engraving needs.
Sandy

ECO-DAVE

I decided to take a class at GRS.... I am having trouble deciding between Basic Western or Basic Metal. Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That really depends on the type of engraving you want to do.

If you are in the jewelry industry, either class would be great.

If you want to do guns and knives and possibly jewelry the basic metal is probably the better choice.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unless I'm reading the schedule wrong, the Steve Dunn Basic class is this week. The Basic classes that are left this year are taught by Marty Rabeno and Sam Alfano. Both are full, but you can occasionally get in through the wait list. You do this by clicking on the question mark next to full.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You will probably be able to do something for real quicker learning bright cut. Plus it's an extremely attractive style!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recommend taking an intaglio printmaking class or a good art class at a local school. You will learn more if you use gravers over a period of time such as a college semester than in a couple of days in a class workshop. It takes time to digest what you have learned and a concentrated fashion is more like fast food. You still need to spend many hours of practice. After you finish a basic class in intaglio, woodcut, art classes etc., then you would find the workshops more useful. Also spend a lot of time cultivating your drawing and design skills.

Latest posts

Sponsors