GRS Powerhone fix

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in recent months my old (30+ yrs) powerhone had developed an increasingly annoying and increasingly louder rattle (like 'can't hear the stereo' loud). the logical assumption was either a worn disc shaft (tho the diamond disc still ran smoothly) or, more likely, a failing motor bearing so i kept putting off troubleshooting it so as to put off the cost of a new motor or shaft & bushings. this morning i bit the bullet and started taking things apart.

shaft & bushings tight and smooth running. ok.

pull motor and it seems to spin fine. huh. plug the bare wires into a wall outlet (yes, you can do this without any drama. my grandfather was a master electrician- i saw him do much scarier stuff than that!) and it hums like new. well, dang. what next?

i start looking closely at the flimsy little aluminum cooling fan that mounts on the motor shaft above the belt sheave and notice it's just a tiny bit loose where it's crimped to its shaft fitting. took a punch & my chasing hammer (with the brand new beautiful beech handle i finally made a couple weeks ago) and tightened up the 'teeth' holding it together.

reassembled the whole shootin' match and it runs whisper quiet as the day i bought it. i guess that fan was resonating inside that sheet metal housing and creating a racket out of all proportion to the actual problem...

if you're experiencing a similar noise and want to check this, the fan can probably be slid up off the motor shaft (after loosening its set screw, of course) without taking out the motor. you might need to back off the motor mount nuts to lower the motor enough to gain the necessary clearance to extricate the fan.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my ph is still runnin good. did have a similar problem with a lincoln welding machine. needed new fan motor. life is good.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Reading of Mitch's powerhone trouble brought something to mind with my GRS. After a period of inactivity, my motor just hummed with no rotation. Upon investigation after a partial takedown, the motor shaft was stiff with resistive rotation, by hand. My suspicion was correct, in that the factory supplied lube had somewhat dried up. I keep a supply of "Tufoil" on hand, in a small squeeze oiler with a needle spout, and a few drops in each end of the motor cap (there is an indentation in each, at least in mine), and that did the trick. It now sounds and works like it was when new.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just fixed one for a student. The older models do have a really flimsy fan...

This one musta got bent from shipping. I think that if you mark a box "FRAGILE", you are just asking for an under hand throw versus overhand?

Brian

Hey, how do you know how things worked at UPS when I was a driver?

Carlos De La O III

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
United Package Smashers lives up to their name in my book! Lol

I just got a new powerhone for Christmas and it's stunningly silent

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After a period of inactivity, my motor just hummed with no rotation. ... the motor shaft was stiff with resistive rotation... the factory supplied lube had somewhat dried up.

yes, Ron, it is not at all uncommon for motors- especially small ones- to seize from long periods of disuse. one can generally get them going again by clamping the shaft end in a vise and spinning them by hand. the weight of the motor will provide enough inertia- a flywheel effect- to get them spinning freely again. if the equipment allows for it, once you get everything back together let it run upside down for a few minutes to redistribute the settled lubrication. (this trick will also quiet a noisy old clock...)

Latest posts

Sponsors