GRS EasyGraver Sharpening Fixture Review?

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
I'm not wanting to start any tool controversies here I just have a simple question about the sharpening fixture.

Since this tool has been out several months now I am sure several engravers have purchased them.

The question is do you find it to be a worthwhile tool or is it on the shelf collecting dust?

Thanks for any input. Ken

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken
I have been using one for a month now. I do like it. I find it very fast and more accurate/consistant than my other adjustable fixtures. Drawback is that it is set for one specific type of grind. This just happens to be the one i use anyhow so I feel like there is no handicap for me. I am using the 105 and wish they made a 90. The one suggstion I gave GRS is drill a hole in the handle so you can hang it on a peg board hook rather than let it lay on the bench with all my other "junk"

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using mine all the time. I have the 105 but as Marty, it is my favorite grind. I can use the dual angle sharpener blindfolded but still grab the new fixture. Really proves great on carbide gravers that you put some muscle too. Marty mentioned a 90 degree fixture...
With the 105 fixture you can use this to make 90 degree "standard" heel gravers. I find on the 90s that this works just fine anyhow.
Rex

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use it everyday for 105s. I also use the 105 to help with 90s as Rex mentioned. I am probably going to purchase the 120 soon.

I don't use it because I don't know how to sharpen. I use it because its fast. Time spent sharpening does not show up on the piece. Only engraving shows.

I use it to maximize engraving time.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
EasyGraver is available in two flavors, either 105° or 120°. While it doesn't make a graver you can't make with a Dual Angle fixture, it does sharpen them very quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.

If your go-to graver is a 105° or 120° parallel heel, then you might love this fixture. Remember that it is non-adjustable and only sharpens ONE geometry (either 105° or 120°).

EasyGraver is designed to be used with gravers mounted in GRS QuickChange (QC) holders, and works best with the double setscrew QC holders as opposed the old single setscrew types.

Once a graver is mounted in a QC holder and sharpened with EasyGraver, that graver should stay in that QC holder for the rest of its life as slight sharpening variations may occur if it's removed and remounted in the same or different QC holder.

If you don't use GRS QC graver holders, then EasyGraver is not the best sharpening solution for you.

There was some discussion in a previous thread about reducing the top of the graver, and there's a relatively simple solution for that in the EasyGraver Instructions which you can download from GRS.

I have both the 105 and 120 versions and am doing 100% of my engraving with those two geometries. My old square gravers have been replaced with 105s and I honestly don't notice a difference other than they last longer.

The nearly parallel heel of this geometry also makes a super graver for flare cutting.

lowes_heart_copyright.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01080-sm.jpg
    DSC01080-sm.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 302

Sam

Staff member
Here's another example of flare cutting. It's not much different from the previous photo, but it's in steel. Cut with an EG 120° graver which produces clean exits at the end of the cuts.

flare_cut_steel.jpg

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I use the 120° mostly and this fixture is a real timesaver. And as Marty & Rex also mentioned it gives consistent results. I just ordered the 105° and expect that I will get the same benefits.

Sam

Staff member
Here's a pic of the top of my EG105° per the instructions in PDF in a previous post. The graver is made from .070" carbide round stock.

EG120_top.jpg

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How does it go with resharping Sam with a round stock, is it possible to put the graver in the same position as before ???

mrthe

Willem if i'm not wrong this fixture work only with the qc holder in this way you can resharp without problem i think

Sam

Staff member
Yes, the notch in the QC holder assures exact alignment. The graver itself is not clamped like in the Dual Angle fixture.