Question: GRS easy graver question

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
My 120easy graver finaly showed up but its different than the one I used with Sam.

if you notice around the "GRS" logo there is two chanels cut on either side that was not on the one I used in the past.

Should I be using these positions?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mine was an early production model. The slots on the side are for holding against the post for reducing the top of the graver.

See Page 4 of the PDF that Cliff posted.

Sam

Staff member
ok so silly question but what is the purpose of the flat top?

It reduces the size of the face for faster sharpening, and removes a lot of unnecessary bulk from the graver so it tapers more to a point. It does not affect cutting action.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Please excuse my ignorance. Why would anyone want one of these? With the dual angle fixture you can make pretty much any tool to any geometries you want. Are they substantially cheaper than the dual angle? Also I assume from the picture that you can only make a 120 degree with it. It is the first time I have seen or heard of this device so if I am way off the mark then please forgive me.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please excuse my ignorance. Why would anyone want one of these? With the dual angle fixture you can make pretty much any tool to any geometries you want. Are they substantially cheaper than the dual angle? Also I assume from the picture that you can only make a 120 degree with it. It is the first time I have seen or heard of this device so if I am way off the mark then please forgive me.

It's sort of a cross between a Template system and the Dual Angle system - plug in your graver and use the various holes on the Dual Angle shaft and you get your one style of graver with no real chance of error. Quick and easy to make a graver and even quicker to resharpen one.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Phil: I have the 120 and a 105, and it's some of the best money i've ever spent. The time i have saved sharpening gravers has more than paid for the fixtures, as you can resharpen to the exact same angles every time. With the dual angle fixture there is always a little room for error as you can't be absolutely sure you have the same angle every time. In this business time saved is money in my pocket. I also have a dual angle fixture, but only use it if i need to make a graver of a different geometry.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

Yes, it only has the one angle of 120 degrees. You can also get one set at 105 degrees. Both give you a parallel heel, not a traditional heel. It's a labour saving devise as the angles are all pre-set it only takes seconds to sharpen your graver.

More importantly it provides a uniform parallel heel which can be a bit fiddley with a Dual Angle Sharpener. It's great for round gravers as the QC collet just slots into the front part. That means that round gravers are registered properly every time which works really well for the C-Max round gravers. You can also buy a separate QC attachment for the Dual Angle Sharpener for registering round gravers using the QC system.

I use mine every day and it's great!!!! If you use the 105 fixture you can heel it with the 120 and get a traditional heel. I found that out by accident :)

One of the things I have found with the parallel heel is that for some reason you have less heel strike from the back of your graver. Goodness knows why.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Staff member

This fixture can't do anything the Dual Angle can't do, except sharpen faster. I have the 105 and 120 versions and love 'em and use them every day. They are very fast and extremely accurate.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmmm. Thanks for your replies. Definately food for thought. Up until 3 years ago when i took the plunge and purchased a sharpening fixture i spent many, many hours hand sharpening tools for engraving. I always hand sharpen for setting (my profession) as it is seldom the case when any heel is required, yet as you all know they are essential for engraving. I tried many different ways and always found using a small round steel rod placed on my sharpening stone for a guide to work well enough.That was until I used a fixture. Now I will always reach for it when sharpening.
I will say Andrew that like you I have found a parallel heel to cut far cleaner than a traditional heel, and now I have a sharpening fixtue I find that the cleanest of cuts is done by using the parallel heel with extra relief behind it. ( not sure but I think it may be caused the Lindsay Parallel point).

Latest posts

Sponsors