GRS bracelet forming tool

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all....
I did break down and popped for a new GRS bracelet tool. I have a question.... Is it possible to form the bracelets in a oblong shape rather than a circle?

Thanks for any imput,
Dennis

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Dennis,
When I form bracelets with a homemade tool very much like the GRS one, they take on a circular shape when you run them through the tool.Then I take it out and shape it to an oblong wrist shape around a 1" wooden dowel. Just bending it by hand, it still maintains its dome when done. I cover it with masking tape before forming to avoid scratches. Ken

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you've ever seen metal bending or forming jigs that used moveable pins in a baseplate to create shapes, like in flat bar. you can create a version with cut pieces of broom stick. wrap with a few layers of masking tape. you can get most any shape needed, if you take your time.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis,
In silversmithing supply catalogs, like reo grande, you will find bracelet mandrels of both wood and metal that are oval in shape-take a look at http://www.contenti.com/products/mandrels/320-631.html or do a google search for bracelet mandrel- I made mine out of a baseball bat, just did a bit of sanding on the disk sander after cutting a section from the bat-remember to shorten your braclet blank for small wrists-Fred

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi,

I bend mine with the former and then do the final "c" shape by hand. That seems to work pretty well for me.

Weldon

Attachments

• Bracelets3.jpg
    Bracelets3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 175

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's the idea for the grs bender/ former: engrave flat- then form after engraving. it's a cool tool !

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
Like they say on ESPN; your bracelets are cooler than the other side of the pillow. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing with us.

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors