Greetings from OHIO!

Yggdrasil53

Hello the house!

Noobie here east of Cleveland getting started in the field. I apologise in advance for anything stupid I utter.

My background is oil painting, classically (read brutally) trained. I was passionate about sculpture until my wrists disagreed. I focused on oil painting and after catching the mania from my better half, watches. Sometimes both at the same time. The later has fed the earlier many many times.

School was challenging and very long. I liked it. I am looking for more. This new medium opens new vistas I am very eager to explore. Bulino work is fascinating to me.

So far I have my compressor, and my vise and my Lindsay Classic. Been setting aside an hour a day and I've made the following graver points: Universal, detailing and flat knife.

Any fellow Buckeyes here? Any recommendation on options to learn? Anyone in the area willing to teach?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
your background makes it a "shoe in" for success or insanity-- which ever comes first. i too was an oil painter and still do a bit of sculpture. translating those talents to a small chunk of silver, gold, whatever, will test you. sometimes more than you may want. you're certainly welcome here and there's help at hand simply for seeking same. good luck.

Yggdrasil53

Thank you @monk, it's a toss up frankly. on one hand I have a new medium to explore on the other hand I have a new medium to explore. could go either way.

I'm getting spoiled with tools. Better half (who's not rich to buy cheap tools) found a surgical microscope, a zeiss opm1 that we'll be picking up next week. I am psyched!!

Bulino interests me quite a bit. just purchased lee griffith's bulino class. I'm very excited.

@mtlctr , howdy neighbor and thank you!

Yggdrasil53

Thanks @mdengraver! I bought Bleille's bulino templates, he's a bit far from me to travel at this point. I see Powley is about an hour and a half from me. I'll reach out. Thank you!

Yggdrasil53

the scope..................and do you like it?

I love it.

it's a 300mm with 40x. I have a lot of space and the depth of field is very deep. I can see very closely. The only "problem" it has straight binoculars, the head position didnt feel very natural. I purchased the angled binoculars that come next week.

Nice gear tho, quality glass. looks to be from the 60's.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I love it.

it's a 300mm with 40x. I have a lot of space and the depth of field is very deep. I can see very closely. The only "problem" it has straight binoculars, the head position didnt feel very natural. I purchased the angled binoculars that come next week.

Nice gear tho, quality glass. looks to be from the 60's.
where was it purchased from...........for future reference. I love the stand!! $ Please show the addition

Latest posts

Sponsors