Great quote

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the point is that you have to know when to quit. Lord knows you can sure mess something up if you keep adding to it

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

Yip, my old boss that taught me signwriting called it "overguilding the lilly"

As soon as you get to the point when you say............"I wonder if I just added this extra little bit........."

Then it's time to run out the room and take a cold shower because that extra little bit is where the grief begins :)

Cheers
Andrew

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I wish I new that a long time ago. Would have saved me abandoning so many into the trash can. Weldon and Andrew you are so correct. Nice quote Scott I may put that one on the wall it will slow down some questions about incomplete works.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
[QUOTEI] think the point is have to know when to quit. Lord knows you can sure mess something up if you keep adding to it [/QUOTE]

Ah I see, It is just that abandoning your work sounds a bit uncaring.
But as you put it its like whenn your emerald is set so that it doesn't move anymore its set.
That "just a bit more" will brake it.

Must be my english :big grin:

Daniel

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am right in the middle of this very crisis right now on a project. I am not happy with iy, and know I have more to do in some areas, but some areas are finished....... but I keep going back to them and adding a little more instead of the areas I am really not happy with, becuase I am not happy with them.......

I am overwrought with concern about this project. LOL

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl St. Clair (assistant conductor of the Boston Symphony at the time) once told us at the end of an 8 hour rehearsal: "At some point you have to stop stirring and just serve the soup." A completely different art, but the same theme. It's interesting how similar the arts are across different mediums.

Andrew Biggs

With black powder shooting we call it "the law of diminishing returns" Once you've reached the optimum load ..............you start going backwards with the more powder you put in.

Same as driving a nail into a piece of wood. Just one more whack with the hammer splits the timber. Just one more turn of the screw strips the thread................... and just one more beer makes you fall over unconscious :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors