Great inkjet transfers

I worked on figuring a way inkjet transfers would be dark and work with most inkjets
this is what I did and it worked great. I almost never use transfers but this comes up in forums
so much I figured it was time to try something new.

(1) Don't use inkjet transparencies; you need to use laser transparencies but
they need to be treated (Now don't laugh) rub on soap with paper towel use a hard bar of soap use a hair dryer to get dry, here's the funny part; take hair holding gel you can use spray gel or squeeze tub if you use squeeze type just rub on with hand making a thin coat then dry with hair dryer, if your using spray hair holding gel spray one coat dry with hair dryer then do a another coat dry again. (You can get hair gel at any market, drug store or hair salon if they have mega hold LA brand get that)

(2) Print on gel side with inkjet printer (You can even print very fine lines and get great detail) I tried it on an HP Fax office inkjet with cheep refill ink and a Cannon i960 photo color inkjet. (Brother Laser Read abut laser in step 5)

(3) Let ink dry; you can try using the hair dryer to speed it up; as you know if you play with the settings and print a little lighter it will dry faster, if you have time let sit over night.

(4) Use Dammar; I found out if you brush on with an art varnish brush dip brush in denatured alcohol first, wipe off with paper towel then use it with the dammar it will make the dammar very tacky and for a longer time, also if for some reason you missed the tack time you can brush a very light coat of the alcohol over the dammar and it becomes tacky again, I even think it works better then if you didn't let dry first.

(5) You don't have to do this but I would; put a light coat of dammar over image, you can't scratch it off or smudge as it is but if it gets real wet it could mess it up. That's why I like the laser printer it is permanent DO NOT USE GEL WITH LASER PRINT SOAP ONLY NEEDED then do the rest of the steps

Foot note: I tried something today I put super glue instead of Dammar and it worked
Great the soap acts as a blocking agent on the transparency; (don't burnish just rub out excess glue) when I pulled off plastic sheet no ink was left on it (I haven’t tried engraving with the super glue transfer)

Just trying to add something new to a art I love so try it if you like or if you have a way that works stay with it.

Top image is inkjet bottom laser

Attachments

• inkjet-laser.jpg
    inkjet-laser.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 258

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:eek: Blimey!!!!!! How the hell did you come up with that recipe????? Sounds really intreguing, it's not going to bugger up the print heads on my HP is it? The cartridges cost a fortune to replace. I really think I'm going to give this transfer malarkey a go. Thanks for the tips.

cheers,
Marcus

As long as you use the hair dryer everything should work, I haven't had any problems at all. I forgot you can do this in color as well. what your doing is making a water based thin decal.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Ron.
What I'm not understanding is do you use the soap on the transparency under the hair spray?
Or do you use the hair spray instead of the soap, please?
Thanks, John B.

Hi John

First rub soap on laser transparency, dry with hair dryer, then put hair Gel over that, Dry with hair dryer then print(MAKE SURE YOU USE HOLDING HAIR GEL not hair spray)the gel comes in a hand pump spray but it is holding hair GEL not just hair spray.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron are you part scientist, part inventor, part engraver?:) What possessed you to come up with this concoction? I have to give it a try.
Thanks
Mike

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you guys talk about the right printer settings, what are you talking about? Dwayne

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ron,
The laser transparency sheets your using. Is there one that worked better than other or are they all
good. Some of the inject transparency brands have more of a tooth to them. I would think your using
a laser sheet that's fairly smooth?

ps. I think the setting that Ron is talking about is found in the advance print menu. Quality of paper, matt, glossy, etc.
They determine how much ink is used.

Last edited:
Hi Jim

The only laser transparency sheets I've used is office depot brand made for them, but your right they are smooth unlike inkjet sheets. I don't think the brand matters because your gel coating it also as you said inkjet sheets have teeth to them and that,s why you can't use them. One of the big keys is getting a good tack with what ever adhisive your using. I really like letting the dammar get past its tack time and use a very small amount of denatured alcohol brushed over it for what ever reason it gives you a nice pull.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

You don't have to set on best but if you do it may just take longer to dry, make sure you mirro the image some printers call it T-shirt mode and I set it on transparency this will have the printer lay down less ink.

Hope that helps

God Bless
Ron Proulx

color tranfer photo

I tried two new things

(1) I let the dammar dry to touch it could have been 5 or 10 minutes, then laid transfer on dammar with hair dryer on hot went over the image moving slow with my thumb push down on image then lightly went over with a medal burnish tool and the image stayed on perfectly. I also went over image after removing transparency with a little dammar as you can see the image of the bird is great. (the bird is about the size of a Quarter)

(2) I tried this in color and it worked really good (horse is 2â€￾ tall I wanted to see if a larger area would pull as well)

God bless
Ron Proulx

Attachments

• bird-transfer.jpg
    bird-transfer.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 110
  • horsecolortransfer.jpg
    horsecolortransfer.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 96

msar24

Ron,

Just had to give this a try and it worked like a charm with my laser printer, just as you described. The nice lady at work gave me three boxes of 3M transparency film since no one at work uses them any more and she wanted to get rid of them (300 sheets - That should last a while). I didn't have any Dammar varnish but I recalled seeing somewhere that you can mix clear Bullseye brand shellac with denatured alchohol in a 10:1 mix for transfers (I think it was on Steve Lindsay's web site). Home Depot has the shellac for $5.00 and I already had some and I had the alchohol...so why not. Applied the mix with a cotton swab, let dry until tacky. All the ink transferred with quick burnishing and does not rub off when rubbed with my fingers.

Thanks Ron.

Kevin

Thanks for letting me know how it worked for you. I know everyone seems to be bent on using the inkjet that's why I played around for a better way, however nothing beats the laser printer just add the soap and go, you can get them for the price of an inkjet and the toner goes on for ever my first laser printer I think the toner lasted almost two years.

Thanks again Kevin & God Bless
Ron Proulx

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
RON, DO You think a copy machine would work with your method? It uses toner. mine has a special area for the transparencies i assume for projection projects. Then i could enlarge or shrink the image. my computer program wont let me do that or maybe i just dont know how. Microsoft picture it. Doug

Hi Doug

I don't know but if the copyer uses heat to lay down the ink just use the soap not the gel, If you spread the soap on and use the hair dryer I bet it will work. Remember don't use the gel with any printer that uses heated drums it will stick to them, inkjets don't use heated drums. Hay If you don't want to try your printer go to Kinkos and try it if it doesn't work just turn and run out the door HAHA!!! just kinding, I think it will work just fine with the soap.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
I Will Give It A Try Over The Weekend If I Get Time And Let You Know About The Results. Im Like You I Have Tried A Few Things But Damar Varnish And Tracing Paper With Pencil Lead Works About As Good As Anything Ive Tried.the Key Is A Light Coat Of Varnish. I Bought Some In A Aresol Spray. Doug

msar24

Doug,

If the copier is a dry toner copier then it is basically the same as a laser printer and you should be able to use the same method as the laser printer.

Sponsors