Question: Gravermiester question

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of oil the old style gravermiesters use? I looked at the PDF files on grs and the dont say. Any help would be appercaited
Steve

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Steve
I use Automatic Transmission Fluid in mine.
I cant remember who told me to do that but i have never had any troubles with it
Hope this helps
Dave

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dextron(sic) is ATF. Ford, GM, and Chrysler each require proprietary fluids which mainly differ in additives and operating temperature range.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it is Dextron transmission fluid. When I rebuilt my Gravermeister I called GRS and confirmed the type oil. Doesn't matter what brand as long as it has Dextron additive.
Hope this helps. If you would like to confirm, call Josh at GRS.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know what you mean by old. I got my Gravermeister in 1972. The rotary vein vacumn pump GRS used on the Gravermeister back then was made by Gast Manufacturing Corporation. The Gast Pump Manual has whole list of oils from various oil companies including Shell Rotella #10 which GRS recommended. Rotella is a motor oil for diesel engines. When I changed to the high speed valve on my Gravermeister I experienced severe handpeice over heating and GRS recommended changing to Dextron II automatic transmission fluid. Dextron II didn't help the handpeice over heating problem but I haven't bothered going back to the Rotella.

Roger

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Winston NO,NO,NO
The Silent air compressors use a synthentic oil, Call or write them and ask for the MSDS sheet on the oil. They have to provide this document by law. Then go on line and find it. FYI about 5 years ago I did this and bought 5 gallons smallest I could find at the time cost 110USD delivered, this is when they were asking $32 for a little over a quart. If you cant find it let me know I think I have the reciept.:banana:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought my Gravermeister in 1978. It came with Mobile Delvac oil and that is all I ever used. Note: I never converted to the high speed valve so I don't know about that application.

CRB

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your Help everyone i appercaite it a bunch.I talked to Josh in tech support and he said dextron 2 or 3 as long as its non synthtec.
Thanks again everyone.
Steve

Last edited:

tolesh

I recently talked to JB at GRS he told me to use Dextron II only. It is not easy to find
at my Checker auto store they have all kinds of exotic transmishion oil but I finally found it.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Joe i think this one was built in 79 but it was only used for 2 years then it was put in storage. I have hand pushed since i started engraveing and i have wanted a machine to engrave steel. Its gunna be fun.
Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors