Gravermach or Gravermax?

If someone was jsut starting out, which would be a better investment, the Gravermach or the Gravermax? i.e. for a beginer is the extra $200.00 for the Gravermach worth it? What advantages does it have over the gravermax? thanks for the help. -Scott

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Scott,

I used to use an old Max. It was fairly noisy in that it had an audible whir that used to drive me nuts by the end of the day. My father's one though was and still is silent and he's still happily using his with no plans to change it. I now use a Mach and it's leaps and bounds above the old Max. The impacts are crisp and there is no fluctuation of the valve which is what used to happen when a power station kicked in or out of the grid. That being said I recently used one of the new Max's when in Belgium and I was very impressed. It too is much better than the old model.

I think much of the extra cost in a Mach is taken up in a precission regulator and the bias feature. I don't use this often but when I do it's invaluable. It enables you to adjust the operation of the foot pedal so you can fine tune the exact point that the handpiece starts operating. When doing ultra fine bullino it makes it much easier as it's literally a case of touching the pedal as opposed to what seems by comparison like quite large depressions of the pedal. Most of the time though I don't use it but I think Sam uses it quite a lot, (am I right Sam?). I find the continuous hiss the bias valve distracting but will put up with it when doing fine work as the pros outweigh the cons.

As I said, the Max is an excellent piece of kit too (look at my father's work with the old model and tell me it's not) so you have to think ahead and ask yourself whether or not you feel you'll need the 'bias control feature' at sometime in the future. If you're not intending to cut very fine bullino or set very fine stones then the Max is more than adequate. Indeed, you can still do these things on a Max without the bias control, it's just that it makes things a bit easier.

Whichever setup you choose, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Marcus,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a knife maker and looking to engrave mostly on blades and fittings and I am also just starting out in engraving so i am probably leaning towards the Max since it will be awhile before I start doing real fine work and i don't do any stone setting. For a first maching though I was trying to figure out if the mach was worth the extra money for a beginer since it would be awhile before I had the skill to really utilize it. Anyone else have any thoughts? -Scott

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, Being fairly new with the pneumatic machines, I have found that the finest aspect of the tools lie in the ability to utilize the finesse of the tool which doesn't even come into play until you are doing high end work. The merits of any of the tools aren't even recognisable by the amateur until you have a need to do the really fine line bulino styles, therefore it would more be about what your intent is. If you see or have the desire to do the high end work, get the best you can afford. The fine cuts become an obvious factor in the evaluation of their qualities from one to the other. I had a bit of a hard time adjusting to the surges and deviation of power in the gravermax. The gravermach solved the problem and is more responsive on a more sensitive level it seems to me. Having said that, experience with any tool will get you around most of the obstacles, so it is more about what you start out with until you reach the outer technical limits that the tool might be able to perform. The problem seems to always have been the ability to cut the finest lines that are quite easy by comparison with the hand tools. That has been my experience. If you are doing heavy work, no problem.
Ron S

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Scott: I don't have either so can't comment on that.
But I notice in your profile you are an Art Teacher. While your primary intent is to use the machine for your bladesmithing, I can' imagine you will be satisfied doing just that? I suspect you will get into finer work where the benifits of the Mach would be an asset? $200 extra now would be less than buyers remorse later and having to buy the Mach later as well as the Max now?

(continued)...for me at this point would be the power fluctuations.. i.e. will they make it frustrating to learn on, although as Ron pointed out certain obstacles can be overcome by learning the tool. Most of what I am looking at at this point is heavier work and I could cut the finer lines by hand...but on the other hand it is always goo to purchase more than what you think you might need.... -Scott

Anyone else here staring out on one of the new gravermaxes? I almost wonder about getting the graver max, putting a couple of years under my belt with it, then when I am ready to do the finer ork selling it and trading up. Does this sound logical? -Scott

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My suggestion would be to opt for the Mach. The $200.00 spent now may hurt but will be cheaper than selling and upgrading later. Even if you decide engraving isn't cut out for you, selling a used Mach may be easier as well. You may not need the features now but years seem to fly by with equipment. I didn't hesitate on buying an original Gravermax and then used it for over 20 years till going to a Mach and the old Max is still working fine.

MARLON

Scott,

I can't tell you the differance between the Max & Mach, but I can tell you the Mach is great! Started using one 2 months ago with a Monarch handpiece and it is amazing. Personally, I like the bias control and wouldn't want to be without it for $200.00.

Marlon

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I could be wrong, but when using the Max SC in Antwerp a couple of months back, I didn't notice any of the power surges that used to affect the old Max. I think GRS sorted that problem. The Mach is a great tool and I personally wouldn't go back to a Max. There is no doubt that the Mach will give you extra 'high end' options but remember these alone won't make you a good engraver and it may be many years before you fully appreciate these facilities. My father at nearly 72 years old is still producing some of the best guns he's ever done and he uses an old Max. Tools alone do not an engraver make.

That being said I'm one of those people who it's taken a long time to learn 'buy the best you can afford in the beginning and you'll save money in the long run.' My old guitar cost me £250 over 15 years ago and never felt right. A couple of years back I spent £1200 on a hand made guitar and my playing has come on leaps and bounds.....imagine if I'd had a guitar like this 15 years ago, I'd be better than I am now. However, both the Max SC and the Mach are excellent machines but if you can afford the extra $200 I'd go for the Mach any day.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The GraverMach with its throttle bias control is, in my opinion, the machine to buy. You'll never regret having spent the extra money on the 'Mach.

Sponsors