graver vs .005ct. dia

krisf

the 120 didnt stand a chance. TGIF for easy graver sharpener.

Attachments

• graver wreck.jpg
    graver wreck.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 294

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Pretty sure I was awake in science class when they said something about diamonds being kinda tuff lol

krisf

i get the inital prong up with an onglette then go back in the hole with the 120 makes a nice pop to the cuts.

jpatter

Half pointers are no fun. I just finished a ring repair up replacing and retipping eight of the little buggers. I think I dropped more in my bench pan than I got in the ring. Oh well, it needed cleaning anyway.

Jpatter

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A pox on the guy who decided it would be acceptable to put these tiny little devils in engagement rings. I've noticed this trend in recent years. I think it stems from people who have little or no bench experience, designing rings on autocad. What looks great on a computer rendering can be a nightmare for practical daily wear. Another prob is all the paper thin platinum pieces that should have been done in white gold. Combine this with a bunch of quarter pointers and bad things will happen.Some of these just cannot be repaired. I reached the point that if one comes in for work, I tell the customer, after the 5th stone falls out, I start charging. Had 12 half pointers drop out in the sonic last week.
And this is the last time I rant about poorly made jewelry on an engraving forum. Promise.
Layne

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Things made on a budget to make them affordable for Mrs average who's lifestyle doesn't mix with fancy designs.
Smallest stones are fine to do with a scope :)
A lot of setters out there still guessing by eye & working piece work for next to nothing per stone...

Latest posts

Sponsors