Question: graver polish

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have seen in the help and tips sections that Mr. Lynton Mckenzie kept "brightly polished gravers" to make the side walls of his relief engraving as perfect as possible. I understand that "perfect side walls" are made with of lots of practice and sweat. But I was wondering if these gravers were polished in a special way. What I am asking is were they just very well polished on the face and heel or did he polish a side surface on the graver as well,or possibly somewhere I am not even thinking of ? Any information would be well appreciated

Thanks scott99 :thinking:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lynton would sharpen on a fine Arkansas stone and then polish the heels of his gravers with a piece of leather treated with Simichrom polish. Nowadays a ceramic lap will produces the same results or better, and if you want a mirror polish (overkill for anything except brightcut jewelry or western brightcut), then you can strop the heels on a piece of tooling leather sprayed with 50,000 mesh diamond spray (green label spray that GRS sells). Also, a cast iron lap treated with the same diamond spray will polish a graver better than anything I've ever seen.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you ever use crocus or any wet & dry-- when you think it's time to toss it away, don't toss it. when you think it's worn out, it will usually function well at a higher polishing level.

Latest posts

Sponsors