Question: graver blank size?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
round graver blank size?

I finally need to order some blanks, was on the grs website, I see they sell several sizes.

I own a lindsay classic

what is the size for the square (ok i find its 3/32 square)

but what if i want to buy the round? what size should i buy for it to fit

thanks

Last edited:

mrthe

Wich type os sharpening system do you use?
If you don't use the Lindsay you can modify the bottom of every graver to fit in, if you use tge Lindsay sharpening system don't buy round gravers .

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Saludos

I use all of Steve Lindsay's equipment in fact I just bit the bullet and bought some of his Carbalt XD gravers and they are the best as to lasting on very hard surfaces and they also polish up and bright cut like no other graver I have used. ( I have used almost all the different gravers ) As for a round graver I use these for my inside ring lettering and engraving I buy them from Ngraver. I do one modification to the rounds though before I start to profile. on the opposite end of the point I grind a 3/8" flat which allows me to index the round when I mount them in Steve's extensions.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Saludos

I use all of Steve Lindsay's equipment in fact I just bit the bullet and bought some of his Carbalt XD gravers and they are the best as to lasting on very hard surfaces and they also polish up and bright cut like no other graver I have used. ( I have used almost all the different gravers ) As for a round graver I use these for my inside ring lettering and engraving I buy them from Ngraver. I do one modification to the rounds though before I start to profile. on the opposite end of the point I grind a 3/8" flat which allows me to index the round when I mount them in Steve's extensions.

Mrthe, gracias

Bill that's exactly what I was looking for, would you happen to have some calipers to measure the width of the rounds your using, I would also like to index and use in the lindsay template, as far as I've seen the round are cheaper.

Could you post a picture of your round with the index, or email to carlosdelao3@gmail.com

Gracias Bill

Carlos De La O III

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos

The round gravers are 1/8" M-2 HSS They are $3.50 each from NgraveR www.Ngraver.com I chuck the graver up in my GRS Sharpening jig and set it to 0 so it is flat and I grind about a length of 3/8" and depth is just deep enough to give me a nice flat. ( maybe 1/10th deep) That way the set screw on Steves extension had a flat surface to hold on to and can be indexed back in when you take it out to sharpen on the Lindsay sharpening Jig. Its not real hard. You could also go to the Hardware store and buy some 1/8" Drill Stock. I get mine from Ace Hardware here in my town.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Carlos,

Lindsay handpieces will accept 1/8 dia round gravers, and GRS C max rounds, 1/8 in diameter, are a great steel, good for both single point and bright cutting. The round is the least expensive shape.

Rod

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
OK Guys

I have to apologize for a mistake I made in my comments. I do use a round graver and I index a flat so it fits a Lindsay extension however this will not fit in the Lindsay sharpening jig. I use my GRS sharpening jig to then sharpen the round graver. The index still helps me to get the angle right even if i remove it. I have talked to steve about a graver holder that would accept a round also however he said it does not work. Sorry for that

mrthe

All the way why don't use the Round or the Les Schowe 's template if you need a round graver? more easy to do

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
never happy with rounds until John Barclaugh introduced me to the square brass tubing trick. search for it and your problem will be solved. Fred