Graver blank length

Houlihan

I am interested in a discussion from another thread that brought up cutting GRS graver blanks in half. One person said the shorter length gives you more control.

Is cutting down GRS gravers a norm?

I've been using full length, but if there are control advantages to cutting them down I'm super interested to hear more.

Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I normally break 1/2" to 5/8" off Glensteel 3/32" graver blanks for myself and nearly all students except someone with really enormous hands. Breaking them in half would result in 2 gravers that are too short.

I don't break Cmax 1.8mm blanks as they're already a good length.

Many engravers prefer different graver lengths and have different grips, so one size doesn't necessarily fit all.

Houlihan

Thank you so much for the reply, Sam. Jake Newell spent about a week "trying" to teach me to engrave last year, and he didn't shorten the gravers, which are the Cmax 1.8 type. So, I figured they were more than likely the right length. He certainly produced incredible results with them just the length they came. Plus I recall him saying you'd get more use out of them as you used them since you could resharpen them more at that length. Thanks again.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You will find a length that feels "right" over time.

Once you get there, don't worry much about the "wasted" metal you took off to get there. (if need be?)

Both Lindsay and GRS make extension collets and those will keep you in the "zone" for a long time to come...

If you are a smith - keeping the bits of carbide and cut off liners can be handy to make up specialty gravers by soldering (brazing) them to 3/32" square stock or 1/8" round stock.

Using carbon steel drill rod as the base you can bend up all kinds of interesting shapes to get around obstacles or into strange crevices... and then solder/braze on a tip of your choice.

Never quench carbide - and remember to harden and temper the bits of liners...

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
old style gravers, carefully cut & shaped, provide me with 2, quite useable gravers. the newer ones, i made a few graver handles that are adjustable, and can accomodate gravers of any length. as mentioned, one day you'll find the comfy length that's just right for you. grs sells a few handles that allow for adjustment via set screws. i have the grs one that came with c-max. such is easy to make if you like to make yer own stuff.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I worked without air assist, and ecspecially when I was starting out, graver length was a real critical thing. Once I started using air assist, I don't consider it much anymore. I see most of my tips are probably 1/4" longer than I would use. Mind you I was using a tool charter than most of my contemporaries in my neck of the woods.
Nowadays I finish all my work without air.. But it's such little bites, that extra bit is of little consequence to me.

Latest posts

Sponsors