Graver blank Help!

Villnow

Lol, I definitely need some help. I'm completely new to engraving and just purchased a cheap graver to start before I go spending a ton of money. Yes it's just a Chinese one off Amazon. My problem is it didn't come with any blanks so I purchased a cheap one to try but it's round on the end and doesn't fit into my handpiece. I've attached a picture and any help!! Would be greatly appreciated. Do you grind or fit blanks to handpieces or collets? Or where would I find the right one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220218-090224.png
    Screenshot_20220218-090224.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 35

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you will need to grind a bit of a flat on the back of the blank. just enough to allow insertion into the handpiece. since the blank is round, the flat spot will assist you in indexing the blank when you sharpen it. i don't want to spend yer money, but-- you will need a sharpening system. do not-- that is do not buy a cheap knockoff. if you want to save cash, go to youtube and search for "graver sharpening" videos. such is crude but slow and effective. best of luck to you.

Villnow

Thank you. I did grind it to fit and got my first taste of metal engraving yesterday. I'm definitely going to be buy nicer equipment and it's definitely fun.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Lol, I definitely need some help. I'm completely new to engraving and just purchased a cheap graver to start before I go spending a ton of money. Yes it's just a Chinese one off Amazon. My problem is it didn't come with any blanks so I purchased a cheap one to try but it's round on the end and doesn't fit into my handpiece. I've attached a picture and any help!! Would be greatly appreciated. Do you grind or fit blanks to handpieces or collets? Or where would I find the right one.
this is called a "handpiece". the gravers or blanks are inserted into the end of the handpiece

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I always grind my gravers with a flat spot where the setscrew will seat against the graver. I use mostly round gravers. When I started using them I had one slip when the setscrew became loose. I also do this with square gravers before they are ground and sharpened.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I‘ve got the same handpiece, by the look of it. The clamping mechanism of mine works only for a small range of tool sizes. Check with drill shafts of different sizes, for example. I work with round 2mm HSS and carbide blanks, I‘ve made a spacer to get them clamped properly. The GRS QC holders are much more forgiving in that respect.

Cheers

Ralf

KGB 3

Thank you. I did grind it to fit and got my first taste of metal engraving yesterday. I'm definitely going to be buy nicer equipment and it's definitely fun.
Warning IT'S addicting, if you are buying tools and gravers ball vise buy only higher end other than china or other 3rd world. If you decide to get out , you will get what you originaly payed for it. start drawing what you want to engrave, you won't be sorry.

Latest posts

Sponsors