Critique Request 'Good Luck' horseshoe finished

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was wondering, how to hang an engraved horseshoe up without visible fixation on top when the tip is pointing down?

I think I'd use two of the holes to hang it using horseshoe nails. But, using seven nails might even be better when it comes to superstitions.

truehand

According to an article on Anvilmag.com, Paulie got it right.
http://www.anvilmag.com/farrier/002d2.htm
"A Farrier Guild formed 'round 1300, London's Worshipful Company, on its symbol displays the heels facing down, "tradition" says that's how it should be."
I agree with Paulie that it looks better heels down. And it makes sense to let the luck flow out, surround the home, and ward off evil trying to enter the doorway. Like a glass full of beer, it's useless until you turn it bottoms up! :)

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
According to an article on Anvilmag.com, Paulie got it right.
http://www.anvilmag.com/farrier/002d2.htm
"A Farrier Guild formed 'round 1300, London's Worshipful Company, on its symbol displays the heels facing down, "tradition" says that's how it should be."
I agree with Paulie that it looks better heels down. And it makes sense to let the luck flow out, surround the home, and ward off evil trying to enter the doorway. Like a glass full of beer, it's useless until you turn it bottoms up! :)
:tiphat:Thanks for your support and for that interesting link, Truehand! :thumbsup:I'll keep it as a European reference/explanation on the horseshoe symbol of good luck! Greetings, Paulie

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim, I was watching for a response from you. Enjoyed the article. Very interesting.
You've been kinda quite down there in Bandera..hope all's well.
Jerry

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the smiths in days long ago, always put points down. thus the luck would spread over the forge. this was for a smithy in the usa.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, good to hear from you Jerry. I’ll catch up with you offline.

Regarding this thread; Once again, as in my linked article in a previous post, I’ll assert that the orientation of the shoe is entirely one’s choice. Poor Paulie asked for critique of his engraving and most of what he is getting is critique of his choice of orientation. Even after taking the time to explain the reasons for his orientation choice, he can’t get a break.

Unless you are nailing the shoe to a hoof… Orientation doesn’t matter.

Once again, nice job, Paulie! Your tattooed shoe is a winner. I think the stippling really worked. Background removal would not have gained you any more significant visual delineation but would have been far more time consuming.

Most of my signature designs are western bright-cut. But, sometimes I will do BG removal on request once in a while and only when a customer requests and pays for it.

Here is an example of that. This shoe was done a few years ago for the owner of the World Champion Clydesdale Stallion. The shoe was 12†by 12â€. It was made of 3/8†steel plate and not easy to hold or turn by conventional means. It had multiple design challenges such as the squarish shape and 14 big nail holes. I would have much preferred stippling it.

Once again, good job, Paulie! You now know that it ain't as easy as it looks.

Best,

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Regarding this thread; Once again, as in my linked article in a previous post, I’ll assert that the orientation of the shoe is entirely one’s choice. *Poor Paulie asked for critique of his engraving and most of what he is getting is critique of his choice of orientation. *Even after taking the time to explain the reasons for his orientation choice, he can’t get a break. *
Once again, nice job, Paulie! Your tattooed shoe is a winner. I think the stippling really worked. Background removal would not have gained you any more significant visual delineation but would have been far more time consuming.

Most of my signature designs are western bright-cut. But, sometimes I will do BG removal on request once in a while and only when a customer requests and pays for it.

Here is an example of that. This shoe was done a few years ago for the owner of the World Champion Clydesdale Stallion. The shoe was 12â€￾ by 12â€￾. It was made of 3/8â€￾ steel plate and not easy to hold or turn by conventional means. It had multiple design challenges such as the squarish shape and 14 big nail holes. I would have much preferred stippling it.

Once again, good job, Paulie! You now know that it ain't as easy as it looks.

Best,[/QUOTE]
:tiphat:Hi Jim, thank you for the nice compliment! Also thanks for your opinion on how a lucky horseshoe should hang:thumbsup:. I read all different ancient text's & everyone's reaction on this matter and learned about horseshoe's that it just depends from which country/region the habit came. The British blacksmith's hung their lucky horseshoes with the tip up, the same way that I made it. In the U.S.A. it seems to be the opposite, with the heel opening down. I heard of a Belgian horse keeper's mother's opinion: she said it should hang with the open side up! So be it, it really doesn't matter is what I/we 've learned! :clapping:That's a wonderful 'giant' horseshoe engraving you made Jim! What a nice effect with the removed background! You know, before I engraved the Kerckhaert horseshoe, when I was googling some engraved horseshoes I saw your giant one on the first page and I admired it a lot! Kind greetings, thank you for the support! Paulie

Latest posts

Sponsors