Good engraving class.

mfaley

With a little pushing from a friend, and a generous ok from my wife, I signed up for an engraving class from Brian Marshall and I am really happy I did. I tried to make better progress on my own but there are so many places where just a little guidance makes such a difference. While I am a long way from being at the level of the experts here it sure helped to fill in a lot of blanks.

As I was headed to the class, I started to list out where I wanted Brians help but I decided maybe I would be better off just absorbing and taking notes. What I found out was that Brian demonstrated a number of different ways of doing things from patterns, pattern transfers, engraving through the tools he uses. As a result, things are moving along more easily than prior to the class and everytime I go back over my notes I remember something I learned. Now that I am at home the fun factor is much higher......for now. :)

There were folks there with different skill levels and each one of us looking to learn something just a little different. As a result I think everyone walked away thinking they were much further along by taking the class.

For those that are looking for a focused class on engraving that will expose them to different ways of doing things I recommend one of Brian's classes.

Regards,
Mark

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark, glad you were able to take a class and that you enjoyed it.
Brian is a fine teacher and has a very well equiped facility.
You did the right thing by taking good notes in the class.
That will really help you down the road.
Best regards,

mfaley

Hi John,
You are right about the notes.....they are proving to be very helpful to keep me on track for many of the things that were new to me.

I also got to thinking about some equipment purchases I had been considering that, after attending the class, I rethought. Seems like the cost was almost covered by keeping me from buying things I dont really need right now.

Regards,
Mark

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Mark, about taking class notes.
Your thoughts on this are a very valuable tip to others who will taking classes.
None of us can remember it all when we get home.
My classes had lots of handouts but I always told the students "those that take the best notes wins this game."
Best.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For the Intermediate class I took from Lee at GRS I later scanned my notes and saved them as a PDF. Lets me look at them in more places, plus zoom in to help read my handwriting.

Reminds me - I should read through them again. Always get something new out of it when I do.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Brian,
Please understand that in no way was I implying that you did not have wonderful handouts.
But as you say, no handouts can paint the full picture of all that is covered in the class.
I just wanted to point out to the people who are anticipating taking classes how important it is to supplement any teacher’s handouts with mind jogging notes for when they return home.
Best regards,

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I know John...

Some students depend entirely on the 30 pages when they shouldn't.

I try to remember to remind them when something comes up in converstaion that is not in the printed notes so that they can choose whether or not it's worth adding.

Lots of things get left out when the time frame is so short.

I remember the 2 week long class you taught at Lassen College and the two binders full of notes I came home with!

Brian

Latest posts

Sponsors