golden ratio vs computer

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
don t know which side to choose .. but sure there s a difference between 2500 year old mathematics and today s computer calculations.. even while playing around with the divergence aso.. until yet I didn t manage to fit a perfect computer scroll into golden ratio... any thougths on this????:thinking:

Attachments

• golden ratio.png
    golden ratio.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 237

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Human equations and mathematical formula describe reality not the other way around. It is the eye that sees beauty not the art critic or mathematician.

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd have a few beers and just forget about it. perhaps the math in your scroll generator doesn't really know the rule.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Try to scan a handdrawn scroll and teach the . . . @$#% . . fancy calculator!

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Hora, who draws better than mother Nature??
but.. same story here...

Attachments

• Ohne Titel-1 Kopie.jpg
    Ohne Titel-1 Kopie.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 177

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
I would say, that is a perfect scroll! It looks like mother Earth is telling us our invention of the golden rectangle is not that golden after all.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
there s no doubt that the golden rectangle is very pleasing to the eye..
but on the other hand..a scroll , drawn into it s divisions .. is not... but that s only personal taste...

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Personally i'm not a great fan of this 'natural'/ calculated scroll. This type of scroll is used a lot in the US. The problem with this type of scroll is when you put leaf in the scroll they go from huge to super small ore what we see also is they make a huge ball ore leaf which forms a ball at the end of the scroll. This creates disproportionated lumpish looking scrolls. The elegance is lost. If you draw a scroll rule number one is make sure the space for the leafs stays the same and at the end of the scroll if you have a ball, the ball should be ± 2 times the diameter of she scroll with.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I started scroll design, I made a study on scrolls made by the computer versus the one in nature, thing is that even nature produces different ones, sure not all of them are whiting the golden mean.

here are two nice ones but different from each other. sure they both look nice!

so here are two computer generated scrolls, one is the Nautilus Shell, the other one the Ammonite

arnaud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors