Gold overlay variation

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
MD
Say you want to solder 3 pieces close together. I start with the middle piece using hard solder. Then each surrounding piece easy solder. The use of a heat sink ( clay, etc.) can also be used to protect close by soldered pieces.
Jeff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Not if you don't go crazy with a huge tip. Let me back up. I am referring to soldering 3/16" steel spur bands. In doing this I use a 2/0 J barelled torch with about a 3/4" feather and a roughly 3/8" cone. Touch and go heating. Properly done , small flame and the two different solders along with a heat sink, there is no need to worry. But, always get the technique down pat with similar scrap pieces. As far as sinks , I have used nickles, rocks, washers , nuts or whatever fits and is handy.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks atexascowboy2011. I guess that answers my question. I was concerned about annealing the overlay as well ruining the tight connection to the piece when it is heated.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Md
If you're going to do a multilayer overlay, the same technique would apply . First take the multilayers to the brick, hard solder them together, then easy solder the sandwich to the spur. Hard solder being 1,500 degrees?
and easy 1150-1, 200 degrees?

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
The amount of solder used is of paramount importance.....don't use to much!