gold inlay

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
its time to start doing some gold inlay, but before the work begins I am getting some practice.

I didn't have a yellow marker so you will just have to play along and believe that the orange areas are yellow.

one thing that I am seeing is the area to the left looks unbalanced.
I think that the scroll itself is balanced, but when you add the gold accents the design is thrown off its color balance.
If you split the scroll....I have 5 inlay spots on either side.
the difference is that the gold inlays on the right hand side are larger.

maybe I should try to color a few different leaves to try and find a balanced point?

a question for the inlay team?????
how do you plan ahead for something like this?:tiphat:

Last edited:

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
inlay_1.jpg
It looks like you changed your mind on doing this, but I think it balances you out. Besides once you shade it you can fine tune your balance with shading densities.(Right?) Any way it's gonna look great I am sure.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm....

While I like the overall look the thing that caught my eye was that there doesn't seem to be a reason for what's gold and what isn't.

Most of the gold is outside of a leaf, but sometimes the outside of a leaf isn't gold, and sometimes the gold is another part of a leaf.

It doesn't seem to be the light showing what's gold or not, since it's not consistent with a particular lighting direction.

Like I said, looking at the sketch I like it, but looking closer the what is and isn't gold bothers me somehow. I'll have to wait to hear from the more experienced folks to see if this is just me or if I'm having a bare glimpse of something.

Latest posts

Sponsors