Help, please: Glock 23 slide engraving

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hi. I have a customer ask me to engrave a Glock 23 slide. I know some had engrave Glocks here before.
My questions are:
1. What kind of graver geometry do I use?
2. Will it be OK to not remove the coating prior to engraving?
3. What kind of challenges should I expect?

Thank you

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Denny, I engraved glocks for them directly. They sent the guns to me in the white. I would not suggest trying it unless you are working with Glock directly.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Denny, I engraved glocks for them directly. They sent the guns to me in the white. I would not suggest trying it unless you are working with Glock directly.

Bert- What's "in the white" means? bare metal? Does Glock sent you different material slides so it's engravable?
Sorry for the stupid questions, I mostly engrave motorcycle parts.

I also found under the "Tips Archive" that Glock would be a pain to engrave. I'll take your advise and say "NO" for the commission.
Thank you. Denny

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Choppers, I am really not trying to be hurtful or anything but if you don't know what "in the white" means then you may want to hold off engraving guns until you've done a bit more homework, not to mention practice.

You are asking about graver geometries and such in an effort to engrave one of the hardest slides known to mankind. In the white means before a gun is blued, coated or in the case of a Glock, nitrided or as they call it Tenifer.

I engraved one and will never do it again. Not for twice the price. Tenifer on the Moh's scale of hardness falls about 4 points under a diamond according to Glock, which is right down the street from where I work. engraving a gun in the raw, in the white state avoids the problem altogether.

Some companies will accommodate an engraver, others like Henry, will not.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
You can also buy an after market slide for Glocks. Brownells have them.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Lone Wole Distributors have stainless steel glock slides. They are engraveable. I think they are around $175.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have engrved some. You need patience and will become an expert in sharpening.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since you're unfamiliar with the term in the white, you definitely don't have enough experience to try a post hardened gun.

In the white means before any finishing techniques are done. Glock uses a black nitride process that hardens and protects the metal. The Glock slides are normal carbon steel. The nitride process keeps them from rusting and actually penetrates the metal and hardens it. It's supposedly irreversible. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether that's hyperbole or truth.

I have engraved guns that were color case hardened without annealing them. It wasn't fun, but it was possible. I wouldn't do it today. I also did a titanium nitride finished gun for a customer. If you're going to try one of these really difficult pieces, you need a lot of confidence in your ability and a whole bunch of graver control/skill. There's little or no margin for error (meaning slip ups).

Lots of things are possible, but would someone pay you adequately to do the job...I wouldn't try doing a Glock aftermarket.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carlos engraved some aftermarket Glock slides.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carlos engraved some aftermarket Glock slides.
Sam,

Sure did, at least to me it was not bad, it was the same aftermarket slide mentioned here from lone wolf, but when i engraved an original glock slide i sanded the finish off to leave it in the white it was way harder than the lonewolf slide. I used a carbalt (hope thats right) graver using Lindsay's 105 template, i increase the face angle by setting it higher when sharpening the face.

And Happy Easter to all

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you and I appreciate all the comments! I'm here to learn, so I will not be hurt or offended by it. I've been engraving for at least 3 years now. Most of my commissions are motorcycle parts & a few stainless e-cigarettes. Yes, I still don't know a lot of things and need many many more years of practice to be a good engraver. However, I feel comfortable enough this year to take a leap & engrave a few guns or knives if the opportunity is there. I know I will struggle & be frustrated but that's how I learn.
Btw.....I'm taking the advise NOT to engrave factory Glock slide.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wise choice Choppers. If a customer approaches you with a Glock, ask if he's willing to pay cost on a stainless aftermarket slide (they're not expensive) and keep the original as a spare. This would cost a lot less even when the engraving fee is added than what I'd charge to cut one of those darn things through the tennifer.

I was told when I started doing this that life was too short to engrave that hard stuff when there are alternatives. He was right. Good luck.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why wouldn't you engrave an aftermarket glock slide?

I will clarify my last remark saying I wouldn't do a Glock aftermarket. By this I mean after the gun has been sold on the market. I'd only do them for Glock before all finishing techniques were applied

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
That is an interesting definition of "aftermarket". I have always heard it used to refer to a part that is/are not made by the original mfg of the firearm. And I am surprised that you would limit your clientele in such a way. There are approximately 600,000 law enforcement officers in the U.S. Of which a large part carry Glocks. Over the past couple of years I have done several "aftermarket" slides for this market.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is an interesting definition of "aftermarket". I have always heard it used to refer to a part that is/are not made by the original mfg of the firearm. And I am surprised that you would limit your clientele in such a way. There are approximately 600,000 law enforcement officers in the U.S. Of which a large part carry Glocks. Over the past couple of years I have done several "aftermarket" slides for this market.

I don't have any issues with doing a lone wolf slide or any firearms aftermarket. I'm simply saying I won't touch a factory Glock slide after its left the factory. It's just not worth the headache. I guess I've been spoiled by doing too much work for firearms manufacturers

Latest posts

Sponsors