Critique Request Giving it a try

Steveareno

I thought I would give Sam’s Fleurs-de-lis a try. It is on a 1 inch copper disc and I found it to be quite a challenge, both the small size and the complexity of the shading. Sam is just about the best at design and shading in my opinion. This is a project that I would buy on DVD if Sam was to show it from start to finish. Well here is my try at it.

Open to all help and constructive criticism, Thanks
Steve

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Steve, It looks like you did a fine job with the project. One thing that I see, even though it is a subtle point, is that your outside lines seem very even in depth. I do see that they flare a bit, but if you look at Sam's work his main lines start thin and tend to flare or be deeper (or both) towards the termination of his cuts. This variability in the cuts will add dimension and interest to your overall design. You have great graver control and the piece looks very nice.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good advice by tira. using a power toy, you'll not need too much practice to acheive the goal.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty good, one thing I would suggest is in the center back leafs, bring that shading all the way down into the center don't stop it short. This will give it better demension and keep it from looking flat.

Steveareno

Tira, Monk, and Mike
Thanks for the advise. I am having trouble with the shading, looks two dimensional. Can you recommend a book that would be really good on the subject or one that is engraving related?
Thanks, Steve

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check out the tips and graver tutorials sections right her for some of the best shading around. Also look at http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2904 for Steve Lindsay's video instruction. Some excellent info on engraversstudio.com. Ron Smiths"s books are an excellent source as are Lee Griffith's and Roland Baptiste's book. Many other excellent products are available. GRS has several of the publications and many others. Check the mentioned web sites for instructional products. If you seek further I might suggest exploring a class or two from one of those offering that service. Good luck. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors