Giglio (Fleur des lis)

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
The Giglio is the symbol of Florence. This is about 21" square (53cm) , and the stone is 6 inches thick. Four inches go in the wall, and the relief is 2 inches. (5cm)

I couldn't go too delicate on the carving (especially the two flowers) due to the high relief and the fact that it goes outdoors on the face of a wall, with the extreme Chicago area weather conditions.

Still, I think the detail at the bottom is a bit out of balance with the lesser detail in the upper half. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Fleur-des-lis.jpg
    Fleur-des-lis.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 238

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think it's beautiful, it looks well balanced to me but I'm a peasant, I know nothing about how detailed an outdoor carving can be but I think it will be an elegant addition for any building.

Bob

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautifully carved, Walter:thumbsup:

The balance seems fine to me considering that you have to work with a specific symbol and make it fit within a stone of square proportions.

The Giglio that symbolizes Florence (Firenze) is usually found within a shield as it is the city's coat of arms. The shield creates a different balance of proportions than a square.

Attachments

• FlorenceArms-giglio.png
    FlorenceArms-giglio.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 217

Gargoyle

Good point Roger. I actually had to widen it a bit to fit well in the square, otherwise it would have looked a bit less balanced.
Here are two progress shots on the second one.

Fleur-des-lis-2-progress1.jpg

Fleur-des-lis-2-progress2.jpg

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Still, I think the detail at the bottom is a bit out of balance with the lesser detail in the upper half. Your thoughts?

In looking at the shadow details formed by the more or less round holes and the two tear drop shaped holes in the lower half... it sort of drags my eyes lower. I know my opinion doesn't mean much but, it seems like there should be some deep shadow detail in the upper central element in that area where the two large leaves come together. I think that would make it balance better to the eye. JMHO.

Gargoyle

In looking at the shadow details formed by the more or less round holes and the two tear drop shaped holes in the lower half... it sort of drags my eyes lower. I know my opinion doesn't mean much but, it seems like there should be some deep shadow detail in the upper central element in that area where the two large leaves come together. I think that would make it balance better to the eye. JMHO.
Good point. I should be able to tuck the edges of the two large side leaves under the center a bit deeper, creating more shadow there. Also perhaps a bit more alongside the stems of the flowers.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What's the viewing angle going to be? If this is going to be viewed from below then it should be pretty well balanced because the view won't let you see any more detail in the top.

Gargoyle

They go over the garage doors in a courtyard. (Two three-car garages, one on each side of the courtyard, these will be centered over the middle doors).
So, they'll be maybe 12 feet up, and viewed pretty close, from within 30 feet. Therefore, it will always be somewhat a view from below.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger for the information on the Giglio, brings a new perspective.
Walter, of course beautiful, I find it interesting the way we need to change a design due to some constraint. Thanks.
Mark

rfattig

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
To me the greater detail on the lower half anchors it, symbolizing stability,