Garage News: Uncivil War

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This one was a bit more than a weekend project.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 348

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
lee, my good man, your artistic abilities never fail to amaze me. i need you to send me a gallon of the water you drink-- or is it scotch ?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey "Garage Man", superb composition! I really appreciate the "natural" poses the men and horses have assumed. So often we see technically well done bulino works but the figures are stilted and lifeless in their poses. This is first a fine drawing, then a masterful bulino! Well done!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

This is like a scene from "Gone with the Wind" remastered in high definition, the detail and mastery of cutting are world class!

Imagine getting a commission that required five horsemen all in contrasting styles, and all fitting onto two thirds of a knife handle. For most of us, it would drive us to drink, but Lee simply drains his glass of milk and picks up his pencil.

Like the Doc says, it is first and foremost a superb composition, and cut to perfection.

Might there be any chance of seeing the knife at FEGA Vegas?

I must imagine that the dangers of going deep in any part of this composition must demand huge and constant attention.

Thank you, Lee!

Rod

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Lee,
Can you tell us who the knife maker is?
Thanks, Glenn

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Doc-Thank you for the comments on posing. Thanks to a camera with a timer, I do most of my own posing-I am also the cheapest model on the block. I find that I am best at the dead guy pose. I actually a natural with that one.

Monk-As Rod stated I think it's in the milk and not the water. Occasionally I feel like living on the edge and being really wild, that's when I go for the chocolate milk.

Marty- I'm working at getting better and a lot of help has come from you, the Sams, Chris and others in the engraving community, many of whom are on this forum. Thanks guys and gals.

Rod- The knife will not be at Vegas but I will drag along some castings.

Barry- This was quite a few three day weekends.

Andrew- Did the pictures come in upside-down?

Glenn- Joe Kious made the knife.

These multi-element scenes are very time consuming and difficult. Many many times more difficult than a single animal or figure nicely framed. A superb example is Marty's cattle drive with the train from a few months back.

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

That's pretty darn good for a potato farmer!

Just sent our gun (The 2014 FEGA collaboration Winchester) back to Barry....such an honor to see, hold (and ogle,drool, etc, etc) your beautiful engraving!!
Take it from me folks: Lee's work is awesome in pics....but...It looks even better in person!!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What pops in my mind when looking at this as an engraver, "you must be able to draw it on paper or paint it to be able to succeed such an art.

arnaud

Sponsors