Garage News: Recent work

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gun is a small project recently finished and the painting is a monster threatening to kill me but I'm having fun and learning a great deal.........he who teaches himself has a fool for a teacher................I know. I do have a few friends who are really good at this stuff and my visits are becoming more frequent.

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC_0184.jpg
    DSC_0184.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC_0198.jpg
    DSC_0198.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 608

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, I love the gun and I like the painting!

While you may be right about "he who teaches himself has a fool for a teacher", I do believe that creativity can be stifled. For instance, a teacher telling a young child that the cat they drew and painted shouldn't be navy blue, etc. Where would the art world be if everyone did the same kind of painting, engraving, music etc.?

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Lee I would think your teacher statement equates to the world has many fool's, wow that would be mean there are some master fools out there as well ??

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, love the gun also and the painting is looking good, would love to be able to do what you.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, That is a beautiful bouquet. At the engraving is excellent and what we expect to see out of the garage. Painting-fire, one armed Yankee veteran and farmers. Sherman around somewhere in there. Fred

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I love your version of what I will call the Italian garland on the right side, it is simplistic but beautiful. Thanks for showing

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gun is a Westley Richards farquharson.
In the ribbon I inlaid Westley Richards in gold with an Old English font. I don't have a picture of it.

It was fun using my youngest son and daughter as the models for the two main characters in the painting and then again as the the youngsters looking over the edge of the platform. What a learning curve this has been. Reminds of engraving a few years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_0143 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0143 - Copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0144 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0144 - Copy.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 210

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I would say that even if the final result is pleasing I am not crazy about the idea of using different style of scrolls within one piece, I am not speaking just about the sizes but also about the shading. Some scrolls are almost shadeless while other seem to live by them, even among the scrolls of the same size there is no consistency, some of the smaller size scrolls have darker background when other do not.
As I was saying I like consistency, it is not to say that you cannot have contrasting styles within one work but contrast imply that you have a break from one style to the other not a different flavor of the same thing.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

Can you explain the allegory that your painting represents. I'm sure everyone is trying to divine what its all about.

Thanks,
Roger

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger- The theme given me was "God blessed us with the Civil War". I was asked to include certain elements- in the foreground- Lincoln and Frederick Douglas, soldiers, and something that shows the shackles of slavery removed. Mid ground- groups in a prayerful and reverent attitude. Background- Devastation of war.

Symbolism
- Red, white, and blue in the center
- Happy, proud, and confident freed African Americans on a platform that once was used to sell slaves, they are at the edge ready to step off, (the models are my two youngest although I had to age my son a few years)
-The two youngsters looking over the edge are my children when they were much younger. With these figures the future of freed slaves is represented.
-Amputees on both sides.
-Elderly union soldier concerned about the young rebel lad and perhaps his healing and future. Lincoln's assassination was one of the worst things for the South. His reconstruction plans were quickly scrapped by unscrupulous politicians and carpetbaggers.
-The farmer has turned his sword into the proverbial plowshare but in this case a shovel. It was easier to paint and points towards the young man- a design element.
-My son playing with my granddaughter - beautiful interaction between races and cultures.
-Lincoln adn Douglas standing side by side- united.

So how was the Civil War a blessing? The one commissioning the painting feels that it pushed the country to emancipation. It began the unification of the country albeit forced and tragic. It humbled us.

A lot of work left. I have spent 2 hours on one nose and more on a mouth.

Attachments

• DSC_0150 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0150 - Copy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0154 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0154 - Copy.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0151 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0151 - Copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 121

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Still fiddling around.

Attachments

• DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 69

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I thought that was Nero that fiddled around while the town burned! Isaac looks like he has grown a good bit since I last saw him. You sure are getting the facial details down...I can recognized some of them quite easily. Looking forward to the finished work. Excellent!

Sponsors