Question: galvanized steel

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I came across some dividers For a part bin . They are galvanized. Could I use them as practice plates or will the galvanized metal be an issue? In asking this galvanized tin could be used also if there isn't any issues with the galvanized metal.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Galvanizing is just a zinc coating.. Zinc is right up there with lead on softness. Should cut fine just don't weld it !

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I did know not to weld it. Cannot say I haven't in the past before they decided to tell us that the fumes can kill you. Lol

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would not mess with that stuff it can flake off and cause nasty painfully cuts. Don't ask how I know;)
Mild steel plates are cheap, cold rolled is easier to prep a lot less scale. Speedy metals is a good source, no charge for cutting

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't bother with the galvanizing. Heat, either by welding, grinding or any other method results in dangerous fumes. When I was a certified welder, we always wore respirators and took extra precautions with anything galvanized. The fumes eliminate calcium in the body, so we were required to take substantial amounts of calcium tablets and drink tons of milk. At most places I worked, the company supplied the milk. Fortunately, I love cold milk and a gallon a day was good to me!

Bill

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jared, I buy all my practice plates from GRS, mild carbon steel 2x2's and 2x4's just polish with wet & dry automotive paper and your ready to go. J.J.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jared,
for practice plates on the cheap, Home Depot sells bars of mild steel in 2in size. They are not perfectly clean but a bit of prep work and you have excellent practice material.
Layne Z

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Had considered that. Lowes is closer and has the same thing .its a shame 304 ss is not good for engraving, I have a but load of it.