Frustration- Shading practice #1

Steveareno

The more I practice the worse it gets, does this happen to anybody else? I thought I would post it anyway and maybe break the spell or just take a brake. It didn’t look so bad when I was engraving it but when I took the picture and view it I was very disappointed.

Steve

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

It's not too bad and things always look worse when they are blown up. It magnifies all the good............and the bad.

Don't worry as it'll get better after you have cut about 10 gazillion of them :)

Cheers
Andrew

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,
Don't beat yourself up over this work. It is quite good in many ways, and you've only let yourslef down in a couple of areas. When you have a leaf that is folded in the center, you want to show this with more subtle shading than you have done. When you make the crosscuts down the center, leave some uncut space at the edge. Also, it is better not to make the main fold lines, but let your shading suggest those lines. Hope this helps.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
take a break, get a beer, and relax. looks quite nice. would make a very pretty pendant.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey Steverano,
Hey man, I'm FAR from an expert, but I think you're whupping yourself a little hard. You're looking pretty darn good. Spend as much time as you can studying photos ( I do best with a big fire and a vodka and tonic) , but photos really show you what you are after. If you can find the time to take a lesson it will jump start you more than you can believe.

Todd

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
Thanks for the post! I'm having the same issues you are, i just haven't made the time to post my progress.
Keep the faith, and i promise to post up some of my lasest stuff in the next day or two.

John

Don H

Hello Steve,

I seldom post here as there are so many much more qualified than I. But this time I might be able to help some. I feel that I learn more from my mistakes than I do from my successes. I know I'm on the right track when I realize things don't look right and need to be improved on. Does that make sense? The very fact that you aren't satisfied shows progress and will allow you to get better. When discouraged I like to admire the excellent work of so many who post here and remember they too were where I am now at some point in their abilities. They too had to kick, claw, and scrape their way to the top. Remeber, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. And everyone is not. Keep working, you're getting closer all the time! All the best, Don Hansen.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I find any work I do looks a lot worse when I take a photo of it even if it looks fine in real life even with magnification..strange but true.
Keep cutting.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Sponsors