From Swap Meet to Show Bike

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Some of you guys may have seen this primary cover which I posted some time ago while it was still in progress (before chrome plating). I just found the "before" photo which I had to send to the chrome plater for an estimate. It makes for a very interesting time lapse progression of this project when compared to the photo I took after it came back from chroming a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy it ... this one darn near brought me to the brink of insanity but it was well worth it ;). I think the last two photos say it all. LOL!!

It's a Harley XLCH primary cover for a bike I've been working on. The grooves were milled off and the area was re-polished then carved with Carl Bliele's style of scroll (as illustrated in FEGA issue #81). The surrounding areas were engraved with traditional gun scroll and background "dot" punched. Prior to chrome plating, everything was given a final polish before being masked off. The carved scroll was then bead blasted to give it a "frosted" affect when it was plated..... The plain chrome oil cap is temporary ... the customer just shipped a new one to be engraved as well.

I'm currently working on the cam gear cover for this project.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

A beautiful piece of work!!!

I like the juxtaposition of the carved work against the scroll work. Looks Great!!!

For some reason whenever you post work like this I have visions of you using 1/2" wide gravers that are about 12 inches long:)

Cheers
Andrew

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work Christopher, I really love the look of large scrolls with minimal detail and shading, it's so pleasing to the eye, mine anyway. I prefer this look over the tiny over-detailed "look how good I can engrave" type of work I honestly feel too many artisans are just building monuments to theirselves, servicing their ego and disservicing the customer.:tiphat: to you. DG

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's great Chris! Like Andrew I have visions of you using a muffler cutting air chisel for that!! Just about wide and long is that? Also, I bet the thing was noisy as heck to engrave as well.
Nice job!
Rex

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
EXCEPTIONAL work Chris. That customer must REALLY love his/her sportster:big grin:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man! Does this make me want to get back into bikes!!! Gorgeous work. I too, can't envision how you carve these large scrolls without a large mallet and chisel. Or did you use a rotary on the carved scroll work?

Mark

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is very impressive, and you have made a very striking piece with that transition style! I was going to write that the local demolition crew might want their jackhammer back, but I see Rex beat me with a similar joke. Very nice, and thanks for sharing, Seth

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ok, the gun scroll is excellent and beautiful, but that flare cut sculpted scroll just blows me away! Dude, that is some seriously wicked cutting! Are you the first to do this style of work on bikes? I wouldn't be surprised if you are.

So tell us about the monster chisel you must be using!

Absolute kudos and high-fives! :beerchug: :thumbs up:

~Sam

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I figured I might hang back for another day and see how big the mysterious jack hammer becomes ... LOL!!

No jack hammer guys Haha .... just a Magnum hand piece. Haven't had any piston issues since I got a vertical compressor and it really took a beating on this one.

Andrew & Kevin ... it's just a Mueller 45 flat. Sharpened just right, it carves real nice.

Doc, no rotary tools. I contemplated removing background on this then figured experimenting with the "recessed" look with mirror foreground.

Sam, I would say this is a first for Carl's style on M/C parts. It lends itself pretty well to this kind of work and really looks more difficult than it is. The time consuming part would be polishing the scroll but I'm getting a little better at choosing a finish that saves time while enhancing the overall look.

Thanks guys .... time to get back to work.

p.s. Rex ... I did wear ear plugs ... even with a big bean bag stuffed inside of it it these covers get a little noisy.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The last two photos do say it all. We can see the detail very clearly.
Nice cutting.
Kevin P.