Friedrich Dick tools...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anybody know of a retailer who handles a more extensive line of F. Dick jewelry & engraving tools? I need a replacement handle for my chasing hammer (after 30+ yrs it can't be fixed or tightened any more) and while searching their website I came across a few more items of interest. I contacted their US distributor and was referred to Rio Grande (who only carries a limited selection of their files as stock items).

well, Rio could order what I wanted, but they could only do so in minimum wholesale quantities of ten (10) units for each item, and only then if I agreed to accept the entire wholesale quantities @ full retail prices, pre-paid in full. For me to acquire a few gravers, a small pair of shears, & a replacement hammer handle would cost upwards of $1,000. :shock:

i'd like to find a dealer that already carries this stuff, or can get it under less onerous terms. perhaps a European company can help me with this? thanks!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need a replacement handle for my chasing hammer
Mitch,
In consideration of past favors, if you send me the old one, I would attempt to make you a couple on my duplicator. They would be curly maple unless you have some ash, hickory or other wood you prefer.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I've gone thru everything Progress Tool (now Contenti) has of their stuff and can't find what I'm looking for. the gravers i'd like to try are the "Gouge Gravers Flat No. 582" on this page http://www.dick.de/en/special-tools...sion-tool-makers/gravers/gravers-and-punches/ which would be great for trimming gold inlays flush.

I'd also like to try the Jewellers snips #85, with bent blades, for cutting gold sheet for inlaying. I have a pair of Gingher craft shears which are awesome, but bent blades would occasionally be nice for inside curves. http://www.dick.de/en/special-tools...and-precision-tool-makers/jewellers-scissors/

not sure what I'll do about the handle. i prefer the pistol grip type, like on their #746 on this page: http://www.dick.de/en/special-tools...smiths-and-precision-tool-makers/other-tools/ -but it seems they only sell replacement handles for the straight grip #750. to complicate matters further, they no longer make the face diameter i have (about 7/8" or 22mm) so i don't want to just buy a whole new hammer. i sure appreciate the offer Dave, but i suppose i'll probably just end up making one myself- thanks anyway!

Karl Fischer has some nice stuff- i like this hammer: http://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/product_info.php?products_id=25961 but at a glance didn't yet find a US dealer. i'll keep checking- they can't be more difficult to deal with than F. Dick...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch,Brownells sells those handles,pistol grip,about 10",also german hammers.mike

can you post a link? i went thru Brownell's site and either missed the replacement handles or never got to the right page. of course, searching for anything with the word "hammer" on the world's biggest gunsmith supply website gets a ton of hits related to striker mechanisms...

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mitch
No help on the hammer, but rio grande sells the curved shears either german or french part 111-236 and 114-233 page 66 in the catalog

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mitch

I have a couple of the Gouge Gravers that you are after. I brought mine from Lacy West Canadian suppliers many years ago and the are the Muller brand. I use it for removing excess gold by slightly rounding the bottom edge.

By the looks of it Muller don't make them any more. There is nothing special about them as they are really just super wide flats.

If you have a decent thick graver, like a liner, you could shape your own very easily.

Cheers
Andrew

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So, Mike
Where are the hammer handles on the link you posted?
They have a separate category under Gunsmithing Tools entitled Hammer Heads and Handles.
They ain't there either.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...a couple of the Gouge Gravers ... There is nothing special about them as they are really just super wide flats...If you have a decent thick graver, like a liner, you could shape your own very easily.

Cheers
Andrew

thanks, Andrew- i already do that, but standard flat gravers & liners are tapered across their width (trapezoidal cross-section) and the tangs are offset to the thick side. this makes them both tricky to grind & sharpen, as well as a little less than ideal in use. i've always wanted to find something exactly like these 'gouge gravers' with true rectangular cross-sections and centered tangs.

("By the looks of it Muller don't make them any more." -story of my life. one of the running jokes between my wife & me is that if i like something, be it shoes, clothing, something on the menu of a favorite restaurant, whatever- you can bet that it will soon be discontinued. i should hire myself out as an anti-marketing consultant...)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, Mike- my experience was the same as Dave's. it says 'handles', but then they're not there. i'll call 'em. i was just hoping to avoid the inevitable "Yeah, I know it says you have them on your website, but it doesn't actually show any."...."Well, no, I don't have a stock number because I can't find them on your site. If I could find them we wouldn't be having this conversation." etc... (Although to be fair, Brownell's is usually not a big offender in this regard.)

Latest posts

Sponsors